1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-energy theorem integral

1. Jul 31, 2014 #1
    I'm having trouble with an integral involved in deriving the work-energy theorem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to get from ∫mv/√(1-v^2/c^2)dv to -mc^2(1-v^2/c^2).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I start out by putting gamma on top to yield: ∫mv(1-v^2/c^2)^-1/2, then I square everything to get rid of the square root term and end up with: ∫m^2 v^2 - m^2 v^2 (v^2/c^2)dv, and then to get rid of the fractions I end up with: ∫c^2 m^2 v^2 - m^2 v^4dv, which, when I try to integrate, gets me no where close to the answer. What am I doing wrong? Should I be doing a U-substitution or chain rule?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Here, let me help,
    $$\int \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\;dv \rightarrow -mc^2\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right) $$... you are trying to work the maths from the LHS to the RHS.
    ... yes :)

try ##u=v/c## to start with.

4. Aug 1, 2014 #3
    Ok, now I see.. If I take U=1-v^2/c^2, then I get dU/dx=-2v/c^2, and then just follow the protocol, and sure enough, there's the right answer.

Thanks Simon!

5. Aug 1, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done - you usually want to look for some sort of substitution for the bit that gives you problems.
    Don't be frightened to try several different ones.

Since you will be doing a lot of this, it is best practice to learn LaTeX :)

6. Aug 2, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

To be fair one should say that the original statement is not correct. There's a square root missing in the given result of the integral!

7. Aug 2, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also, since the integral on the left is an indefinite integral, there should be an added "constant of integration". What you are trying to prove simply isn't true!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted