Work energy theorem problems cracking my heard

In summary, the conversation is about two physics problems that the speaker is stuck on. The first problem involves calculating the maximum height that King Kong can jump while carrying someone who is 10% of his mass. The second problem is about a skier on an icy hill and how to determine the vertical distance the skier will become airborne. The speaker also mentions using the concept of gravitational potential energy and suggests drawing a diagram to help solve the problems.
farai
Hello members

Please could you help me with solutions for the following two problems that I am stuck with.

King Kong is capable of jumping to a maximum vertical height of 10 m. He picks up Enrico Fermi, who is exactly 10% of Kong's mass, and leaps upwards. To what maximum height can King Kong leap to while he is carrying Enrico?

A skier starts at rest on the top of a strange, smooth, icy hill shaped like a hemisphere. The hill has a constant radius of R. Neglecting friction (it is icy!), show that the skier will leave the surface of the hill and become air-borne at a vertical distance of h = R/3, measured from the top of the hill.

Many thanks.

Farai

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Think of the gravitational potential energy.
2. Draw a diagram, label points and show the energy at those points. Energy is conserved.

Hi Farai,

I would be happy to help you with these problems. Let's start with the first one about King Kong and Enrico Fermi. The key concept to remember here is the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, we can use this theorem to determine the maximum height that King Kong can leap to while carrying Enrico.

First, let's define some variables. Let H be the maximum height that King Kong can leap to while carrying Enrico, and let h be the maximum height that King Kong can leap to without carrying Enrico. We know that King Kong can jump to a maximum height of 10 m without carrying Enrico, so we can write this as:

h = 10 m

Now, let's consider the work done on King Kong when he jumps with Enrico. The work done on King Kong is equal to the change in his kinetic energy. Initially, King Kong and Enrico are at rest, so their kinetic energy is zero. When King Kong jumps, he gains kinetic energy, which we can calculate using the formula:

KE = 1/2 * m * v^2

where m is the mass of King Kong and v is his velocity. Since Enrico is 10% of King Kong's mass, we can write this as:

KE = 1/2 * (1.1m) * v^2

where m is the mass of King Kong. Now, we can use the work-energy theorem to equate this to the work done on King Kong, which is equal to the force of gravity (mg) multiplied by the distance he jumps (H-h). This can be written as:

1/2 * (1.1m) * v^2 = mg * (H-h)

Solving for H, we get:

H = h + v^2 / (2g)

Now, we know that King Kong can jump to a maximum height of 10 m without carrying Enrico, which means that h = 10 m. We also know that King Kong can jump to a maximum height of 10 m, so we can write this as:

v^2 = 2gh

Substituting this into the equation for H, we get:

H = 10 m + 2gh / (2g)

Simplifying, we get:

H = 10 m + h

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, it is a way to calculate the amount of work needed to change the speed of an object.

2. How do I solve work-energy theorem problems?

To solve work-energy theorem problems, you need to first identify the initial and final conditions of the object, such as its initial and final velocities. Then, use the formula W = ΔKE = ½mv2f - ½mv2i to calculate the work done on the object.

3. Why are work-energy theorem problems difficult to solve?

Work-energy theorem problems can be difficult to solve because they often involve multiple variables and complex equations. Additionally, they may require a strong understanding of kinematics and mechanics to accurately solve.

4. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and combined motion. However, the calculations may differ slightly depending on the type of motion being analyzed.

5. How can I check if my work-energy theorem problem solution is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by double-checking your calculations and making sure all units are consistent. Additionally, you can use the principle of conservation of energy to ensure that the work done on the object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.