1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work energy theorem problems cracking my heard

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    Hello members

Please could you help me with solutions for the following two problems that I am stuck with.

King Kong is capable of jumping to a maximum vertical height of 10 m. He picks up Enrico Fermi, who is exactly 10% of Kong's mass, and leaps upwards. To what maximum height can King Kong leap to while he is carrying Enrico?

A skier starts at rest on the top of a strange, smooth, icy hill shaped like a hemisphere. The hill has a constant radius of R. Neglecting friction (it is icy!), show that the skier will leave the surface of the hill and become air-borne at a vertical distance of h = R/3, measured from the top of the hill.

Many thanks.

Farai

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2
    1. Think of the gravitational potential energy.
    2. Draw a diagram, label points and show the energy at those points. Energy is conserved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?