Calculate Velocity of 10kg Block on Incline Plane | Work-Energy Theorem

In summary, a 10kg block is pulled up an inclined plane at a 30 degree angle with a horizontal distance of 5.0m by a force of 120N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.4. To find the velocity of the block after moving 5m up the plane, use the work-energy theorem. The total work done is 184.83J, with 245.25J from the gravitational force, -169.92J lost to friction, and 600J from the applied force. The answer given (v=3.48ms^-1) may be incorrect if the velocity is 0 at the bottom of the ramp. The applied force is parallel to the incline
ms.cupcake
10kg block is pulled up an incline plane at 30 degree with horizontal in distance 5.0m by force 120N.coefficient of kinetic energy 0.4.

help!how do you get the velocity of block? answer: v=3.48ms^-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for the velocity at 5m with velocity = 0 at 0m? Or what?

the velocity of the block after it has move 5m up the plane

ms.cupcake said:
10kg block is pulled up an incline plane at 30 degree with horizontal in distance 5.0m by force 120N.coefficient of kinetic energy 0.4.
I assume you meant that the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.4.

So what does the work-energy theorem say? What forces are acting on the block? How much work do they do?

*correction- kinetic friction*.
frictional force,the gravitational force,applied force and normal force.The work done by gravitational force=-245.25J,energy lost by overcoming friction=-169.92J,work done by force,120N=600J, and the total work done i found was 184.83J. so how do I get the velocity of the block after it has move 5m up the plane?

Last edited:
ms.cupcake said:
frictional force,the gravitational force,applied force and normal force.The work done by gravitational force=-245.25J,energy lost by overcoming friction=-169.92J,work done by force,120N=600J, and the total work done i found was 184.83J. so how do I get the velocity of the block after it has move 5m up the plane?
Assuming you've calculated the total work correctly, use the work-energy theorem! Total Work = ΔKE.

ms.cupcake said:

help!how do you get the velocity of block? answer: v=3.48ms^-1
I don't see how you can get that answer from the given data.

Is the applied force parallel to the incline?

If this from a textbook, tell me which book and problem.

applied force is parallel.
and no its not from txtbook

Last edited:
ms.cupcake said:

work in = friction loss + gain in potential energy + gain in kinetic energy.

You are very close to solving this problem. Your numbers agree with mine. So where do the 185 J go at the top of the ramp?

BTW I believe the given answer is wrong if v = 0 at the bottom of the ramp.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a 10kg block on an incline plane?

To calculate the velocity of a 10kg block on an incline plane, you will need to know the height of the incline, the angle of the incline, and the work done on the block. You can use the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the incline. Additionally, you can use the Work-Energy Theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done is the force of gravity (mg) multiplied by the displacement (h) of the block, which can be represented as W = mgh. By equating this with the formula for kinetic energy, 1/2mv², you can solve for v.

2. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem is a physical law that relates the work done on an object to its change in kinetic energy. It states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, and can be mathematically represented as W = ΔKE. This theorem is widely used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects and calculate their velocities, forces, and displacements.

3. Can you calculate the velocity of a block on an incline plane without knowing its mass?

Yes, you can calculate the velocity of a block on an incline plane without knowing its mass. This can be done by using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline. Since the mass of the block is not included in this formula, it is not necessary to know its mass to calculate the velocity. However, if you want to use the Work-Energy Theorem, you will need to know the mass of the block as it is a key component in the equation.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the velocity of the block?

The angle of the incline does affect the velocity of the block. The steeper the incline, the faster the block will accelerate due to the force of gravity. This means that the velocity of the block will be higher on a steeper incline compared to a shallower incline. Additionally, the angle of the incline also affects the height of the incline, which is an important factor in calculating the velocity using the v = √(2gh) formula.

5. Can the velocity of the block on an incline plane ever be equal to zero?

Yes, the velocity of the block on an incline plane can be equal to zero. This can happen at two points during the motion of the block. The first is when the block is at rest at the bottom of the incline, before it starts to move. The second is when the block reaches the top of the incline and momentarily stops before sliding back down. In both cases, the velocity is equal to zero as the block is not moving in either direction.