1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work - Energy Theroem

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physpr3.jpg

Draw the (a.) direction of velocity of the object and (b.) the direction of the net force on the object for each point and finally (c.) explain why you drew the vectors as you did.

The acceleration varies but is always directed toward point K.

2. Relevant equations

Work - Energy Theroem

Wnet = KEf - KEi

W = F (dot) d * cos(@)

3. The attempt at a solution

a. all the velocity vectors will be perpendicular to the curve but what I don't know is how to draw the magnitudes ...

b. all the force vectors should be drawn towards point k (Why? because F = ma, and the force will be in the same direction as acceleration) we also know the Force will be bigger near K than Not K because of the magnitued of acceleration will be bigger when the curve is sharper.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What is your thinking on the Velocity vectors?

Are you familiar with Keplers Laws of planetary motion?

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3

We learned last week or so that for an object to go in a curved path that acceleration will be perpendicular to the curve and that velocity will be tangent (so I definetley didn't write that in the 1st post and thanks for catching that)

and no we havnt used/hread of keplers laws

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

From the statement of the problem a is pointing at all times towards k isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?