1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work escalator question

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An escalator is 30.0 meters long and slants at relative to the horizontal. If it moves at 1.00 m/s, at what rate does it do work in lifting a 50.0-kg woman from the bottom to the top of the escalator

im not to sure on how to go about doing this problem, the question doesnt make logical sense since its an escalator without an angle.... anyone have insight on this or am i just not seeing it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    i no i didnt add anything except for the problem but any tips or help will push me off my feet because theres something i just dont see here

i geuss you would use teh equation .5mv^2 +mgh=.5mv^2 + mgh which tehre is no H in this case so it would bsaically be a standard
    W=mg(hf-hi) which in this case would just be mg?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    anyone know? i dont want you to do the problem for me just i need help getting started, I looked through my physics book and all my notes and i cant find a formula that would satisfy this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook