1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work = F*d = energy transferred? PLEASE HELP!

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    Work = F*d = energy transferred?? PLEASE HELP!

Hi,
    How do we relate F*d (Units: Nm.) with energy (Units: joule.). What is the logical link there?
    I am trying to get my head around the fundamental principles of Physics because problems always involve so much underlying knowledge more than any other subject I know. If there's some good information on the web I would appreciate your guidance.
    PLEASE HUMOUR ME!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi ethan5! Welcome to PF! :wink:

A joule is defined as being the work done by a force of one newton travelling through a distance of one metre. 1 J is defined as 1 Nm.

What is worrying you about that? :smile:

4. May 19, 2009 #3
    Re: Work = F*d = energy transferred?? PLEASE HELP!

Hi there,

To add a little to what tiny-tim is saying, in physics, you can solve every problem with six (6) units only, which are the length unit (m), the mass unit (kg), the time unit (s), the electrical current unit (A), the temperature unit (K), the light intensity unit (cd), and the amount of matter (mol).

All the other units are defined from a combination of these six.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook