Work for a force function of x, v, t

In summary: For forces depending on x, v, and t, W does not always equal 0, as shown by calculations. The difference lies in the fact that for conservative forces, the work done is independent of the path taken, while for non-conservative forces, the work done can vary depending on the path taken. This is due to the nature of conservative and non-conservative forces.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hey people. This is crazy! I haven't had TIME to check out the forum since class began. I do nothing but study and still am (at least a little) late in every class!

Anyway I do have a question about physics to which I haven't been able to find the answer. I was hoping you guys could help! For the record, I use the book 'Mechanics', third edition by Symon. It is written in there that the work, W, is defined has follow

[tex]W=\int_{0}^{t} F(x, v, t) v dt[/tex]

Now it is obvious that if F is simply a function of x, we can simplify vdt=dx and change the limits of the integral from 0 and t to 0 and x. And if x(t) = x(0) = 0 then W = 0. But for force function of x, v and t, it is not so easy to show that if the particle ends up at his initial position, then W = 0. In fact, according to what the calculations I've made, I would tend to say that it isn't.

So, is it? And how do you know?

Thanks for your imputs!

Physics news on Phys.org
That makes no sense to me, If force is a function of (x,v,t), then the integral must be in terms of dx,dv,dt unless you are assuming they are held fixed. If not, shouldn't the formula be expressed as, F(x(t),v(t),t)dt ?

Quasar,

That's because the integral around a closed loop is zero only for special circumstances - namely the force must be a conservative one! As hard as I might try I will not recover the energy I expended in moving my sandpaper in a circular motion on a board because friction is not a conservative force.

Hey tide! :smile: Did you see my comment about the function? Does that make sense to you? I don't see how a function of three variables can be integrated only along one? where is the dx and dv ? That surface charge thing has not worked out for me at all :mad: :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey tide! :smile: Did you see my comment about the function? Does that make sense to you? I don't see how a function of three variables can be integrated only along one? where is the dx and dv ? That surface charge thing has not worked out for me at all :mad: :rofl:

Hi, Cyrus! Yes, I saw that and would agree in a strict mathematical sense. Technically, unless Quasar is talking about a phase space (which I'm quite sure he's not!) then the force is just a function of t alone or x alone. Ordinarliy, x maps on to t from the equations of motion.

Regarding the surface charge problem - you need to realize that the "test charge" and the surface charge interact with each other but we'd best leave that discussion in the appropriate thread!

Tide said:
Quasar,

That's because the integral around a closed loop is zero only for special circumstances - namely the force must be a conservative one! As hard as I might try I will not recover the energy I expended in moving my sandpaper in a circular motion on a board because friction is not a conservative force.

I think this comes down to "W egals 0 for a closed loop only for forces depending strictly on x, because all conservative forces are function of position.

1. What is a force function?

A force function is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between a force and its variables, such as position (x), velocity (v), and time (t). It is often used in physics to calculate the force exerted on an object or to predict the motion of an object under the influence of a force.

2. How does a force function vary with position, velocity, and time?

A force function can vary in different ways with each variable. For example, it could be a linear function of position, a quadratic function of velocity, and a constant with respect to time. The specific form of the function depends on the nature of the force and the system being studied.

3. Can a force function be negative?

Yes, a force function can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is to the right, a negative force function would represent a force acting to the left.

4. How is a force function related to work?

The work done by a force is equal to the integral of the force function over the distance or time interval of interest. In other words, the area under the force function curve represents the work done by the force. This relationship is known as the work-energy theorem.

5. How can a force function be used in real-world applications?

Force functions are used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate the force needed to move an object, analyze the motion of a system, or design structures that can withstand certain forces. They are also essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems in various fields, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.