1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work for FBI ?

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Hmm, that's a pretty neat idea isn't it?
    Will they accept me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    I think the way I am thinking may only suit for jobs in FBI, CIA department.

I search their homepages but currrently no available positions in computer programming, sys admin, chemistry, biology

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    Well what do you do? You need to be able to do something to work for the FBI (i.e. forensic scientist, investigator) and hope you're needed.

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4
    My major is computer science, and sure I like a job as an investigator.

6. Feb 8, 2006 #5
    By the way, to be clearer, I am not a US citizen. Will this be the main reason for not being accepted ?

7. Feb 8, 2006 #6
  8. Feb 8, 2006 #7
    Thanks, i will think again, :biggrin:

9. Feb 9, 2006 #8
    Yes, unfortunately, the FBI and 95% of all U.S.Government jobs require U.S. citizenship for employment (http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/EI9.asp).

For the kind of work you are interested in, you would also have to undergo an exhaustive background investigation in order to obtain a security clearance as well.

There are a few jobs out there (e.g. linguist, translator, etc.) open to foreign nationals with green cards. Certainly the entire intelligence community as well as the State Department are looking for people with foreign language ability. This is the main website for all federal jobs: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

Hope this helps you out.:smile:

10. Feb 9, 2006 #9
    Working for government is not always benifitial..

11. Feb 9, 2006 #10
    One major benefit that I can see is job security. Assuming that you do your job competently, you can be pretty much assured that your "company" is not going to fall apart. Also, as far as I can tell, the benefits you receive are pretty good (especially by modern standards). On the other hand, there are idiots like George Deutsch who try to tell you what to do. Has anyone here worked for the government, and can tell us about their experiences?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  12. Feb 9, 2006 #11
    I have worked for several different government agencies and can say that the work environment is different in each one. Some are great, some not so great. Luckily, I've never had a George Deutsch to contend with, though, I must say that I'm not too fond of most political appointees these days.

The pay and benefits are pretty good, though, the government is not competitive when it comes to salary increases. For instance, if I were to receive an offer from a private company for, say, $15K more a year in salary, the government would be more-or-less unable to match that offer. Not necessarily unwilling, just unable. Its not impossible, but its very difficult.

The one thing that is most frustrating about the government from my perspective, is that it's virtually impossible to fire anyone unless they commit some sort of crime or ethical violation. Although the majority of government employees are hard-working, intelligent people, there is a fair amount of laziness and incompetence that would not be tolerated in a private company.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?