1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work from acceleration vs time

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given Data: Graph, 2 kg particle.

I am asked to calculate the work done from 0 to 4 meters, or some other interval. Normally I would simply multiply the FORCE of the given particle by multiplying 6m/s^2 times 2kg to create a new force vs. displacement graph, and then calculate the area under the linear piecewise curve. I am doing something wrong

2. Relevant equations

acceleration_vs_time_work_by_falchiongpx-d82wk1e.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Calculate the forces as 2kg*acceleration to get the variable force y-values. Calculate area under curve... does not work according to book. Do not seem have enough info for an integral solution.

Sample attempt for Work (J) done from 1 to 2 meters..

1/2(1m*(2kg*18 m/s^2))

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You appear to have an acceleration vs displacement graph (bottom horizontal axis).
    Work is the area under the force vs displacement graph.
    From 1-2m the area is a triangle ... which you did.
    What is the problem?

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3

NTW

In the first meter, judging from the picture, the triangle under the line has an area of (1 m*18 m/s2)/2 = 9 m2/s2

Now you multiply that by the 2kg of mass, and get 18 Joule. The units are right: acceleration [LT-2] by displacement [L] by mass [M], hence ML2T-2.

That way, you can continue the integration 'by eye'...

5. Oct 15, 2014 #4
    I found out that I misreading the graph from the book. The book labels the scale as = 6m/s2. Every horizontal line represented was actually 2m/s2, with the graph maxing out at 6m/s2. Unfortunately, as was actually the MAX value for the graph. My problem was with reading the scale incorrectly. The teacher was kind enough to go over the problem with me where I realized that each increment of the y-value was 2 m/s2, instead of 6 m/s2.

Note: apologies if I mislabeled the last graph. Please let me know if this is wrong.

Corrected Graph Accel vs Displacement Graph, this is a better representation of what was in the book:

While as = 6m/s

acceleration_vs_disp_work_corrected_by_falchiongpx-d82x92j.jpg

Solution:
    a) Read the graph carefully, and locate all notations, even if you require a microscope.
    b) Convert y-values on the graph from acceleration to FORCE via F=ma:
    6m/s2(2 kg)=12 Newtons, hold the figs

i. Re-graph as a graph of F (x), and calculate the area under the curve for the W.

f_x__vs_disp_for_work_by_falchiongpx-d82x9f4.jpg

ii. For finding the velocity at x meters, take the integral of F(x)...

Antiderivative of F(x) results in 1/2mv2
    InteGRAL over a an interVAL.
    (I'm new to integration)

W=W=1/2mv2 - 1/2mv20

Which is coincidental:
    ΔKE=KE-KE0

And where initial velocity is zero.

v=√[(2*J)/(m)] → v=√[(2*J)/(2 kg)]
    Does the particle change direction? Answer: what has the greatest energy? The energy for a slowdown or the energy for a speedup?

This allows for solving Work Done, and Velocity from a(x). Acceleration as it relates to Displacement.​

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. Oct 15, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... or use the work-energy theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted