Calculating Work Function: Light Sources & Photoelectrons

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work function of a metal using the equation for maximum kinetic energy. Two light sources with different wavelengths are used to eject photoelectrons with different maximum kinetic energies, and the equation is rewritten to incorporate both sources. The solution involves setting up and solving two separate equations.
phy
A light source of wavelength lambda illuminates a metal and ejects photoelectrons with a maximum kinetic energy of 1.00 eV. A second light source with half the wavelength of the first ejects photoelectrons with a maximum kinetic energy of 4.00 eV. What is the work functin of the metal?

I know I can use the equation for maximum kinetic energy defined by K=hf - phi where K is the maximum kinetic energy for emmitted electrons, h Planck's constant and f is frequency. Since we don't have frequency, I thought of rewriting the equation as K=hc/lambda - phi but now I don't know how to incorporate both light sources and to actually to solve for phi. Do I have to write two separate linear equations and solve them or is there something esle I'm supposed to be doing? Help please? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea. Two separate equations and solve them. Go with it.

phy said:
Do I have to write two separate linear equations and solve them

Bingo! :smile:

Any time you have two unknown quantities, you should suspect that you'll have to set up two equations for them, and solve them together.

Haha I just reread the question. I think I was having another blonde moment just a little while ago. Thanks for your help guys :smile:

1. What is the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material.

2. How is the work function measured?

The work function is typically measured by using a photoelectric effect experiment, where light of varying frequencies is shone on the material and the resulting photoelectrons are measured.

3. What factors affect the work function?

The work function of a material can be affected by factors such as the material's composition, surface structure, and temperature.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the work function?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the work function. However, a higher intensity of light can result in a higher number of photoelectrons being emitted due to the increased number of photons hitting the material's surface.

5. How does the frequency of light affect the work function?

The frequency of light has a direct relationship with the work function. The higher the frequency of light, the higher the energy of the photons, and therefore the easier it is to remove electrons from the material's surface, resulting in a lower work function.