1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work function

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1

phy

A light source of wavelength lambda illuminates a metal and ejects photoelectrons with a maximum kinetic energy of 1.00 eV. A second light source with half the wavelength of the first ejects photoelectrons with a maximum kinetic energy of 4.00 eV. What is the work functin of the metal?

I know I can use the equation for maximum kinetic energy defined by K=hf - phi where K is the maximum kinetic energy for emmitted electrons, h Planck's constant and f is frequency. Since we don't have frequency, I thought of rewriting the equation as K=hc/lambda - phi but now I don't know how to incorporate both light sources and to actually to solve for phi. Do I have to write two separate linear equations and solve them or is there something esle I'm supposed to be doing? Help please? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2
    You have the right idea. Two seperate equations and solve them. Go with it.

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Bingo! :smile:

Any time you have two unknown quantities, you should suspect that you'll have to set up two equations for them, and solve them together.

5. Feb 13, 2005 #4

phy

Haha I just reread the question. I think I was having another blonde moment just a little while ago. Thanks for your help guys :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?