1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work, Impulse and F(t)

1. Mar 29, 2005 #1
    I'm doing problems where I have f(t) (force as a function of time) graphs and f(x) (force as function of distance) graphs.

I am just having one problem, how do I find work for a force as a function of time graph?

Im not sure how work relates at all to force as a function of time. I know that the area under the graph of F(x) curve is work, but in the case of F(t), I have no clue how I would solve it.

Oh, also, I have no F(t) = whatever, I merely have a graph and am doing graphical analysis.

Any help in how to solve for work from an F(t) graph would be much appreciated.

-TwiztidMxcn

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

F=dp/dt, where p is momentum. The kinetic energy is equal to p^2/2m. So integrating F(t) over t will give momentum, from which you can get the KE. There is a slight problem though. If you just naively assume that a momentum change corresponds directly to the work done by [itex]\Delta W = (\Delta p)^2/2m[/itex] you'll get into trouble because this equation is not linear in p. That is, [itex]\Delta W_{ac} = (\Delta p_{ac})^2/2m = (p_c-p_a)^2/2m[/tex] and [itex]\Delta W_{ac} = \Delta W_{ab}+\Delta W_{bc} = (p_b-p_a)^2/2m + (p_c-p_b)^2/2m[/tex] are incompatible. So you need to know the initial momentum and use: [itex]\Delta W = E_{f} - E_{0} = p_f^2/2m - p_0^2/2m[/itex].

4. Mar 29, 2005 #3
    you, my friend, i thank you for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?