Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Work/Impulse = Velocity?

1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    Since Work = F*delta(d) and Impulse = F*delta(t) then dividing work over impulse, through simple cancellation of F we can say that it is now equal to delta d / delta t which is equal to velocity right? My question is, does this make sense "physics-wise" since I onlu arrived at my answer through cancellations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2
    Hi lonely:

Your equations should be:
    delta(Work) = F*delta(d)
    delta(Impulse) = F*delta(t)​

delta(Work) is an infinitesimal of Work = an infinitesimal of energy = ΔE
    delta(Impulse) is an infinitesimal of Impulse = an infinitesimal of momentum = Δp​

From
    In empty space, the photon moves at c (the speed of light) and its energy and momentum are related by E = pc, where p is the https://www.physicsforums.com/javascript:void(0) [Broken] of the momentum vector p.

Consider a photon which has momentum p and energy pc.
    The result of dividing the photon's energy by its momentum gives its velocity c.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    E = pc is the same as E = (mc)c --> E = mc^2 right? I still haven't encountered relativity so I'm not quite familiar with that famous equation but I think through your answer, it made sense. Thanks.

5. Mar 24, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have ##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2## and ##p = mv##, then

##\frac{KE}{p} = \frac{1}{2}v##

And:

##KE = \frac{p^2}{2m}##

You might like to think about why

##v \ne Work/Impulse##

6. Mar 24, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

No, because p ≠ mc.

The general relativistic relationship between energy, momentum and (rest) mass is E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2. Set m = 0 and you get E = pc.

7. Mar 24, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given this was a post on classical mechanics in the Classical Physics section, I'm not sure how we ended up talking about relativity!

8. Mar 24, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because this is PF. You can't write down an inclined plane problem without someone chiming in about GR.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted