Calculate Final Speed of 58kg Skier on 25° Slope w/ 70N Friction

In summary, the best approach to this question is to use conservation of energy. By using the equation KE (at top) + PE (at top) = KE (at new position) + PE(at new position) + Work done by friction, we can solve for the final speed of the skier at a distance of 57.0 metres down the slope. To do this, we need to find the force of gravity parallel to the ramp by subtracting the force of friction from the force of gravity. Then, we can use Newton's second law to find the acceleration and an appropriate kinematics relation to solve for the final speed.
Flinze
A skier 58.0kg coasts down a 25.0 degree uniform slope. A kinetic frictional force of 70.0N opposes her motion. At the top of the slope her speed is 3.60 m/s. What is her final speed at a distance 57.0 metres down the slope?

Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv^2
V=Vi+at^2
F=ma

So far I decomposed the force of gravity portion, Fx = (58)(9.8)(cos25) and then I subtrated 70.0 N from that getting 445.145. At this point, I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best approach to this question, I think, is to use conservation of energy. KE (at top) + PE (at top) = KE (at new position) + PE(at new position) + Work done by friction

rpthomps said:
The best approach to this question, I think, is to use conservation of energy. KE (at top) + PE (at top) = KE (at new position) + PE(at new position) + Work done by friction

We have not learned how to use PE yet

Flinze said:
We have not learned how to use PE yet

In that case there is an error in your original equation. The force of gravity parallel to the ramp is [tex]mgsin\theta[/tex]

Subtract the force of friction like you did and then use Newton's second law to find acceleration. Then find an appropriate kinematics relation that involves a, two velocities an displacement.

Likes Flinze
rpthomps said:
In that case there is an error in your original equation. The force of gravity parallel to the ramp is [tex]mgsin\theta[/tex]

Subtract the force of friction like you did and then use Newton's second law to find acceleration. Then find an appropriate kinematics relation that involves a, two velocities an displacement.

Thank you! I got it!

1. What is the formula for calculating the final speed of a skier on a slope?

The formula for calculating the final speed of a skier on a slope is v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled.

2. How is the mass of the skier and the slope angle related to the final speed?

The mass of the skier and the slope angle are both factors that affect the final speed of the skier. A heavier skier will have a higher final speed due to the increased force of gravity, while a steeper slope angle will also result in a higher final speed due to the increased gravitational pull.

3. What is the role of friction in calculating the final speed of a skier on a slope?

Friction plays a significant role in calculating the final speed of a skier on a slope. It is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and reduces the final speed of the skier. In this case, the 70N friction will decrease the final speed of the skier on the slope.

4. How can the final speed of the skier be affected by external factors?

The final speed of the skier can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, snow conditions, and wind speed. These factors can either increase or decrease the final speed of the skier, depending on their magnitude and direction.

5. Is it possible for the final speed of the skier to reach 0 on a slope with friction?

Yes, it is possible for the final speed of the skier to reach 0 on a slope with friction. This can happen if the force of friction is greater than the force of gravity, resulting in the skier coming to a complete stop. In this case, the skier would not reach the bottom of the slope and would remain at rest.