1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work in 3D

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 13 N force with a fixed orientation does work on a particle as the particle moves through displacement = (3i - 5j + 3k) m. What is the angle between the force and the displacement if the change in the particle's kinetic energy is (a) +25.6 J and (b) -25.6 J?

2. Relevant equations

Angle = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
    Work = mad or F (dot) d

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to approach this. I know that the dot product really just means to multiply the x parts by x parts, y parts by y parts, and z parts by z parts (or [itex]\hat{i}[/itex], [itex]\hat{j}[/itex], and [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] parts, if you prefer).

If the particle starts at (0, 0, 0), then the force would have caused it to go to its current position (3, -5, 3). I'm still not sure that is what is being said though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is another way to express the dot product, [itex]\vec{F}\cdot\vec{d}\,.[/itex]

It involves the magnitude of each of the vectors as well as the cosine of the angle between their directions.

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3
    Yes, work is equal to Fx*dx+Fy*dy+Fz*dz where where Fx,Fy,Fz are the force components and dx,dy,dz are the displacement components...but there is another common way to write the the dot product of two vectors that should make quick work of this problem.

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4
    Got it, thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook