1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work in a Rotational Motion

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1
    A 32.0 kg wheel, essentially a thin hoop with radius 1.20 m is rotating at 280 rev/min. It must be brought to a stop in 15.0s (a) How much work must be done to stop it?
    t=15.0s
    m=32.0kg
    r=1.20m
    ω= 29.3 rad/s after conversion
    I need to find W

I think I need to find torque in order to find work. Would torque τ=Fr
    F=ma so F=32.0kg(9.8m/s^2)= 313.6 N τ=313.6(1.20m)=376.3
    Is this the right approach, if it is what equation should I use to find W. The equation in my book is an integral does that sound right? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2
    I'm not sure on this one, but I know that [tex]KE = \frac {1} {2} I\omega^2[/tex] where I is the moment of inertia (in the case of a thin hoop it is mr^2).

I also imagine that Wnet = change in KE still applies in this situation, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    Thanks for writing that out I was able to figure it out using what you wrote.

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4
    What is the required average power to do this? The answer to the previous question is 1.98e4 J.
    Ρ= τω for power
    so I have to find torque which is τ= Fd
    F=ma so τ= mad
    so Ρ= (mad)(29.3rad/s)
    First of all is this right? What I'm getting stuck at is that I don't think a=g (9.8) in this situation so I have to calculate a using ωf = ωi + αt
    0= 29.3 + α(15s)
    α= -1.95rad/s^2
    and plug that in for acceleration with distance= 1.2m

Can anyone let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?