1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work in adiabatic process

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1

mps

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My textbook says that W = i/2Δ(pV) for an adiabatic process. I don't understand :S

2. Relevant equations

W=∫pdV

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does the symbol i stand for?

Does your book claim that the equation is valid for any adiabatic process for any system?

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3

mps

Thanks for your help!
    i is an integer
    I think it's for any adiabatic system...i'm not too sure actually

5. Jul 6, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you need to give us more to work with. I think I understand the problem. But we need to know more about what you know. The equation that you want to understand only holds for a certain type of system, not for any type of system. (For example, the equation would not apply to the adiabatic stirring of a glass of water.)

So, you first need to identify the type of system that you are working with (consult your text if necessary).

You will also need to know how to relate work to the change in energy of the system. There's a fundamental law of thermodynamics that will be of use here along with knowing what the term "adiabatic" means.

You will need to know the equation of state for the type of system you are dealing with. This will relate PV to the temperature.

Finally, you will need to know how to express the internal energy for the type of system you are dealing with in terms of the temperature and the integer i.

Once you have these ingredients, you can derive the equation you want to understand.

6. Jul 6, 2012 #5

mps

Wow reading what you wrote made me realize the answer lol thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook