Calculating the Minimum Work Needed to Push a Car Up an Inclined Plane

In summary, the car would need to be pushed up an incline with a force equal to gravity in order to move it. Without friction, the car would move up the incline until the weight of the car was balanced against the force of the incline. With friction, the car would need to be pushed up the incline until the work done to move the car was equal to the friction force.
IMGOOD

Homework Statement

What is the minimum work needed to push a car of mass [tex]m[/tex] kilograms, an absolute distance of [tex]d[/tex] meters (or a height of [tex]h[/tex] meters) up a [tex]\theta[/tex] degree incline plane. a) Ignore Friction. b) Assume that the effective coefficient of friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]W = F_{\parallel}d[/tex]
[tex]F_{fr} = \mu F_N[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a), if you want to push the car up the inclined plane, then you would need to apply a vertical force with a magnitude equal to that of gravity, right? So you would want

[tex]F_y = F_g[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow F\sin(\theta) = F_g \Rightarrow F = \frac{F_g}{\sin(\theta)}[/tex]
where [tex]F[/tex] is a force in the direction of motion of the car. So the work needed to push the car would be
[tex] W = Fd = \frac{F_g}{\sin(\theta)} d[/tex]

and since [tex]h = d\sin(\theta)[/tex],

[tex] W = \frac{F_g h}{{\sin}^2(\theta)} = \frac{mgh}{{\sin}^2(\theta)}[/tex]

I think the answer should be [tex]mgh[/tex]? What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what about the horizontal component?

Why would I need the horizontal component? I already calculated the force [tex]F[/tex] which is being exerted in the direction of motion of the car.

You have mistakenly assumed that F_y = F_g. Rather than over complicate the problem, try using work -energy methods and note the the minimum work required with or without friction occurs when the block is moved at constant velocity.

Why is that assumption wrong?

First draw a free body diagram. In order to push the box up the slope, apply a force F parallel to the slope. Then resolve the weight into parallel and perpendicular components. You will find a familiar answer will drop out easily using this method.

IMGOOD said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a), if you want to push the car up the inclined plane, then you would need to apply a vertical force with a magnitude equal to that of gravity, right? So you would want

[tex]F_y = F_g[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow F\sin(\theta) = F_g \Rightarrow F = \frac{F_g}{\sin(\theta)}[/tex]
where [tex]F[/tex] is a force in the direction of motion of the car. So the work needed to push the car would be
[tex] W = Fd = \frac{F_g}{\sin(\theta)} d[/tex]

and since [tex]h = d\sin(\theta)[/tex],

[tex] W = \frac{F_g h}{{\sin}^2(\theta)} = \frac{mgh}{{\sin}^2(\theta)}[/tex]

I think the answer should be [tex]mgh[/tex]? What did I do wrong?

Assuming you are pushing parallel to the incline, the force is just [itex] F [/itex], the force of gravity that you are pushing against is the component of gravity along the incline, or [itex] F_g(\sin \theta)[/itex].

Dorothy

Last edited:
You're pushing a car up an inclinced plane =).

Remember, your normal force is perpendicular to the object that is at rest. So your normal force isn't at a 90 degree angle =). So think about that.

Also, as said draw a free body force diagram. It will help get you with how the forces are working and balancing out in the entire picture.

Thank you very much you guys. Thanks to you guys, I figured out what was wrong with my analysis.

First of all, my choice of the coordinate system wasn't a very smart one -- I chose the y-axis to point directly upwards and the x-axis to point directly to the right.

Second of all, I was thinking that there was only one vertical force that was acting on the car -- gravity. But I forgot to take into account the vertical component of the normal force (I hadn't taken into account this vertical component previously because I thought it canceled out with one of the components of gravity perpendicular to the inclined plane. But in my coordinate system there was no such component! -- there was only one component of gravity which was acting in the -y direction.).

I have an identical problem. I'm not sure where to proceed from where I left off, though. Could anyone help?

Attachments

• Homework Set 6 - Number 3.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 123

What is an inclined plane and how does it work?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is sloped at an angle. It reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. The longer the incline, the less force is needed to move an object up the ramp.

What are some common examples of inclined planes?

Some common examples of inclined planes include ramps, stairs, slides, and even escalators. Inclined planes are also used in construction, such as in the form of scaffolding, to make it easier to move materials to higher levels.

How does an inclined plane make work easier?

An inclined plane makes work easier by decreasing the amount of force needed to move an object. This is due to the longer distance over which the force is applied, which reduces the force required to lift the object against gravity.

What is the relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the force required to move an object?

The steeper the angle of an inclined plane, the less force is needed to move an object. This is because a steeper angle results in a longer distance over which the force is applied, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

How is an inclined plane different from other simple machines?

An inclined plane differs from other simple machines like levers and pulleys because it does not involve any rotating parts. Instead, it relies on the principle of reducing the force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.