Calculating Work by Friction using Integrals

In summary, the problem involves a uniform board with length L and mass M near a boundary between two regions with different coefficients of kinetic friction. The net work done by friction in pulling the board directly from region 1 to region 2 at a constant velocity can be calculated using the equation W = Fs, or by taking the integral of force with respect to distance. If the contact between the board and surface is uniform, the force can be expressed as a function of distance, allowing for the use of integration. However, this method may not be applicable if the contact is not uniform, in which case the average force method can be used.
henry3369

Homework Statement

A uniform board of length L and mass M lies near a boundary that separates two regions. In region 1, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the board and the surface is μ1, and in region 2, the coefficient is μ2. The positive direction is shown in the figure.

Find the net work W done by friction in pulling the board directly from region 1 to region 2. Assume that the board moves at constant velocity.

http://imgur.com/tFIDobO

Homework Equations

W = Fs

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of friction in region 1: μ1Mg
Force of friction in region 2: μ2Mg
Average force = μ1Mg + μ2Mg/2 = (Mg/2) x (μ1 + μ2)
W = Average force x distance traveled = (-gML/2) x (μ1 + μ2)

So I was able to get the correct answer using average force, but I was wondering how I would approach this if I wanted to use an integral instead. I know the integral of force finds the work done, but I'm not sure what exactly force would be. Is a way to integrate this if an equation is not already given for force?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to integrate ##\displaystyle \int \vec F \cdot \vec {ds}## where now ##\vec F =\vec F(s)##. So I would say you can't do this without an expression for F.

If the contact between board and surface is uniform, you could write ##F = -\Bigl ( \mu_2 mgs/L + \mu_1 mg(L-s)/L \Bigr ) ## where s runs from 0 to L

BvU said:
If the contact between board and surface is uniform
Yes, that's an important caveat for this method. But more generally, you could model the board as a series of boards of varying lengths each contacting the ground at its mid point and experiencing a normal force in proportion to its weight. I believe this gives the same answer.

1. What is the difference between integral and average work?

Integral work refers to the total amount of work done over a given period of time, while average work refers to the amount of work done per unit of time. In other words, integral work takes into account the duration of the task, while average work focuses on the rate of work.

2. Is one type of work more important than the other?

Both integral and average work are important for different purposes. Integral work is useful for determining the total energy or effort expended in completing a task, while average work is helpful in measuring efficiency and productivity over time.

3. How do you calculate integral and average work?

To calculate integral work, you need to multiply the force applied by the distance over which it is applied. This can be represented by the formula W=integral(Fdx). Average work is calculated by dividing the total work by the time taken to complete the task, or W/t.

4. Can integral and average work be negative?

Yes, both integral and average work can be negative. This indicates the direction of the work, with negative values representing work done in the opposite direction of the applied force. However, in some cases, negative work may also indicate that energy is being transferred out of the system.

5. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the change in energy of a system. This means that work is essentially a measure of energy, and the two are interchangeable in many equations and calculations.