Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work - integral problem

1. Mar 28, 2004 #1
    A hemispherical tank of radius 5 feet is situated so that its flat face is on top. It is full of water. Water weighs 62.5 pounds per cubic foot. The work needed to pump the water out of the lip of the tank is ? foot-pounds.

I tried evaluating the integral of pi(125x/3)(5-x)^2 from 0 to 5.

What am I doign wrong? I cannot figure this out for the life of me, spent about the last hour on a seemingly simple problem that continues to stump me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a volume integral you'll need. Suppose the hemisphere is situated so that it is the bottom half of the sphere centred on the origin.

Let the deinsity by p. A tiny volume dV at point (x,y,z) will require you to do work -zpdV to get it to the top of the lip. Now integrate over the volume of the sphere. Note, I can never get my minus signs correct, so watch out for that.

4. Mar 28, 2004 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

woops, my work was based on an incorrect assumption.
    sorry.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  5. Mar 28, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Here's how I would calculate the work done. First imagine the volume as a stack of circular disks of area [itex]\pi r^2[/itex] and thickness dx. The work needed to lift each disk is [itex]\rho \pi r^2 x dx [/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the weight per unit volume and [itex]x[/itex] is the height it needs to be lifted. Of course, [itex]r^2 = R^2 - x^2[/itex], so the integral you need is:
    [tex]W = \pi \rho \int_{0}^{R} (R^2 - x^2)x dx [/tex]

6. Mar 28, 2004 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Where are you getting this relation from?

*edit
    is that because of the circle formula x^2 + y^2 = r^2?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  7. Mar 28, 2004 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The Pythagorean theorem!

It's a right triangle: R is hypotenuse, x is vertical side, r is horizontal side.

8. Mar 28, 2004 #7
    Think about it a bit, Shawn. You can answer that on your own. =]

cookiemonster

9. Mar 29, 2004 #8
    thanks

Thanks for the help. That makes a ton of sense.

peace

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?