How to Calculate the Work Needed to Pump Water Out of a Hemispherical Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses the work needed to pump water out of a hemispherical tank of radius 5 feet, filled with water weighing 62.5 pounds per cubic foot. The conversation includes different approaches to calculating the work, including using a volume integral and the Pythagorean theorem.
drklrdbill
A hemispherical tank of radius 5 feet is situated so that its flat face is on top. It is full of water. Water weighs 62.5 pounds per cubic foot. The work needed to pump the water out of the lip of the tank is ? foot-pounds.

I tried evaluating the integral of pi(125x/3)(5-x)^2 from 0 to 5.

What am I doign wrong? I cannot figure this out for the life of me, spent about the last hour on a seemingly simple problem that continues to stump me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a volume integral you'll need. Suppose the hemisphere is situated so that it is the bottom half of the sphere centred on the origin.

Let the deinsity by p. A tiny volume dV at point (x,y,z) will require you to do work -zpdV to get it to the top of the lip. Now integrate over the volume of the sphere. Note, I can never get my minus signs correct, so watch out for that.

woops, my work was based on an incorrect assumption.
sorry.

Last edited:
drklrdbill said:
What am I doign wrong? I cannot figure this out for the life of me, spent about the last hour on a seemingly simple problem that continues to stump me.
Here's how I would calculate the work done. First imagine the volume as a stack of circular disks of area [itex]\pi r^2[/itex] and thickness dx. The work needed to lift each disk is [itex]\rho \pi r^2 x dx [/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the weight per unit volume and [itex]x[/itex] is the height it needs to be lifted. Of course, [itex]r^2 = R^2 - x^2[/itex], so the integral you need is:
[tex]W = \pi \rho \int_{0}^{R} (R^2 - x^2)x dx [/tex]

Doc Al said:
[itex]r^2 = R^2 - x^2[/itex]
Where are you getting this relation from?

*edit
is that because of the circle formula x^2 + y^2 = r^2?

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
Where are you getting this relation from?
The Pythagorean theorem!

It's a right triangle: R is hypotenuse, x is vertical side, r is horizontal side.

Think about it a bit, Shawn. You can answer that on your own. =]

cookiemonster

thanks

Thanks for the help. That makes a ton of sense.

peace

1. What is a work - integral problem?

A work - integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the work done by a variable force over a given distance. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the amount of energy needed to move an object from one point to another.

2. How is a work - integral problem solved?

A work - integral problem is typically solved by using the formula W = ∫Fdx, where W is the work done, F is the variable force, and dx is the infinitesimal change in position. This integral is then evaluated over the given distance to find the total work done.

3. What are some common examples of work - integral problems?

Some common examples of work - integral problems include calculating the work needed to lift an object against gravity, the work required to stretch a spring, and the work done by a variable force on a moving object.

4. What are the units for work in a work - integral problem?

The units for work in a work - integral problem are joules (J), which is equivalent to one newton-meter (N·m). This is because work is defined as the product of force and distance, and force is measured in newtons (N) and distance in meters (m).

5. How is a work - integral problem related to energy?

A work - integral problem is directly related to energy, as work is a measure of energy. In fact, the work done by a variable force is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy. This makes work - integral problems useful in understanding and calculating energy transfers in various systems.