1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work - Integration and vectors

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    I have this very simple problem, I am just a little unsure of the notation of the integral.
    I am given that a force vector F = (5x i + 4y j) N is applied to a mass and it moves by the vector r = (5.08 i) m. So in other words, there is a variable force and the mass moves only along the x axis.

This problem is ridiculously easy when noting that fact as you simply integrate 5x from 0 to 5.08 as the j component does no work (no r in the j direction.) You get about 64.5 J

That is what I did to solve the problem, but I noticed that it showed this:
    w = ∫F dr where F and r are the vectors defined above.

So my question is, how do you go about integrating that considering F and r are vectors? And also, what does dr represent when r is a vector? I am just a bit confused so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    In w = ∫F dr, the F dr part is a dot product, i.e., the scalar Fx dx + Fy dy. dr = i dx + j dy is an infinitesimal vector along the path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook