Why is work considered a conservative force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in regards to conservative forces and how it is not related to one's feeling of tiredness. It is explained that work should be understood based on its basic definition rather than common sense or intuition. The conversation also touches on the idea that while a person may feel tired while holding a heavy weight, they are not actually doing work on the object, but rather their muscles are using energy. This concept may be further explored in biology rather than in physics.
Calpalned
My textbook says that work done by a conservative force is independent of the path taken. This tells me that ##\int_{a}^{b} \vec{f} \vec{dl} ## only needs displacement (not distance) between points a and b. Conservative, according to my book, means that there is no friction. I have difficulty conceptually understanding this. Of course I'll feel more tired if I move a block of ice in a complicated path than if I did a straight line. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The physical concept of work is not related to how tired you become. If you hold a 40 kg weight above your head you are likely to get tired after a while, but you are not doing any work.

Orodruin said:
The physical concept of work is not related to how tired you become. If you hold a 40 kg weight above your head you are likely to get tired after a while, but you are not doing any work.
Absolutely. Most of the feeling of unease comes from somehow relating work to our "common sense" or intuition. A force can do zero work, as Orodruin points out, or even negative work. The concept of work should be always related to the basic definition, and not to any ideas arising from literal meanings.

Orodruin said:

This was something that bothered me when I started learning physics, so I want to make a somewhat tangential note. You are not doing work ON THE 40kg WEIGHT, but your muscles certainly require energy. Your body is built to be dynamic. Your muscles are not best suited for holding something stationary. They require continuous exchange of chemically energy to stay contracted. This often confuses people because you are "working" in the sense that there is ##\Delta E##, but that energy is being exchanged in your muscles and not transferred to the object that you are holding.

Since this is a complicated system to deal with the physics you are learning first deals with rigid objects that are being moved around without waste in the subsystems (like your muscles). So, your body is not doing work on the object and your physics class is interested in the interactions between your body and the object or gravity and the object or something else and the object. For most (if not all) of your physics career the interactions in your muscles will be left to the biologists.

1. What does it mean for work to be a conservative force?

When we say that work is a conservative force, it means that the work done by the force is independent of the path taken by the object. This means that the amount of work done on an object is the same regardless of the starting and ending points of the object's motion.

2. How is work related to conservative forces?

Work is related to conservative forces because these forces are the ones that do not depend on the path taken by the object. This means that the work done by a conservative force is the same regardless of the path taken by the object.

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, electric force, and magnetic force. These forces all have the property of being independent of the path taken by the object, making them conservative.

4. How do we calculate work for conservative forces?

The work done by a conservative force can be calculated by using the formula W = -ΔU, where W is the work done, and ΔU is the change in potential energy. This formula shows the relationship between work and energy for conservative forces.

5. Why is the concept of conservative forces important in physics?

The concept of conservative forces is important in physics because it allows us to simplify complex systems and analyze them more easily. By knowing that certain forces are conservative, we can focus on the initial and final states of an object instead of the specific path it takes, making calculations and predictions more manageable and accurate.