Work Needed to Accelerate 2008 Dodge Viper SRT

In summary, the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT has a V-10 engine that produces over 600 horsepower. The question asks for the work done by the car, which can be calculated using the formula KE=1/2mv^2. However, this formula gives the energy transfer, not power. For power, there are several equations available, such as W=F*d, P(t)=F(t)*v(t), and P=W/d. The units of work are joules, and the units of power are watts. Part B of the question asks for the power developed by the car, which can be calculated using the work done in a given time.
lolcatz

Homework Statement

The 2008 dodge viper srt uses a v-10 engine to develop more than 600HP of the power,

question- If the mass of the viper is 1560 kg, what work must be done by the car to accelerate from rest to 30m/s>

Homework Equations

I am confused on what formula to use

The Attempt at a Solution

I did.. KE=1/2mv^2... so...1/2(1560KG)(30m/s)^2... is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
lolcatz said:

Homework Statement

The 2008 dodge viper srt uses a v-10 engine to develop more than 600HP of the power,

question- If the mass of the viper is 1560 kg, what work must be done by the car to accelerate from rest to 30m/s>

Homework Equations

I am confused on what formula to use

The Attempt at a Solution

I did.. KE=1/2mv^2... so...1/2(1560KG)(30m/s)^2... is this correct?

Yes.

Out of interest, what other formulae do you have at your disposal?]

edit: I didn't read your question properly, I do apologise.

this is the energy transfer, not power.

For power there are several equations available:

[tex]W = F \cdot \Delta d [/tex]

[tex]P(t) = F(t) \cdot v(t)[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{W}{\Delta s}[/tex]

and also remember that horsepower can be converted to SI units of power.

Last edited:
its a take home quiz... the formulas stated are... KE, PE, work, power and %lost

i was hesitant because Joules obtained from the KE formula are not units of work? am i correct?

lolcatz said:
its a take home quiz... the formulas stated are... KE, PE, work, power and %lost

i was hesitant because Joules obtained from the KE formula are not units of work? am i correct?

That is correct, the units of work are Watts; [tex]W[/tex], or in other terms:

[tex]Js^{-1}[/tex];

[tex]kg \cdot m^{2} s^{-3}[/tex];

[tex]N \cdot ms^{-1}[/tex]As you can see, all of these units involve a measurement of time, so are you sure there is not mention of time in the question?

edit: you are confusing me haha; the units of work ARE joules, so the work done is the [tex]E_{k}[/tex]

Last edited:
well ...

part B of the question says... if the car does this work in a time of 4 seconds, what power did the car develop?
could you use this on part A?

haha, read my edits please =]

What is the average amount of work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT?

The average amount of work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT depends on several factors such as the condition of the vehicle, road conditions, and driving habits. However, on average, it takes about 5.3 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph.

What factors affect the amount of work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT?

The amount of work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT is affected by factors such as the weight of the vehicle, the power and torque of the engine, the gearing ratio, and the traction of the tires. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and road conditions can also impact the work needed to accelerate the vehicle.

How does the weight of the vehicle impact the work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT?

The weight of the vehicle plays a significant role in determining the amount of work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT. A heavier vehicle requires more work to overcome its inertia and accelerate compared to a lighter vehicle. The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT has a curb weight of around 3,500 lbs, which is considered lightweight for a sports car.

What is the role of engine power and torque in the work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT?

The engine power and torque of a vehicle directly impact the amount of work needed to accelerate. The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT is equipped with a powerful 8.4-liter V10 engine that produces 600 horsepower and 560 lb-ft of torque. This high-powered engine allows the vehicle to accelerate quickly with less effort.

How does the gearing ratio affect the work needed to accelerate a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT?

The gearing ratio of a vehicle's transmission plays a crucial role in determining the work needed to accelerate. A lower gear ratio allows for quicker acceleration, while a higher gear ratio results in a slower acceleration. The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT comes with a 6-speed manual transmission, which is designed to provide optimal acceleration and performance.