1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work/ kinetic energy theory

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 5.75 kg object passes through the origin at time t = 0 such that the x component of velocity is 5.00 m/s and its y component of velocity is -3.00m/s.

a) what is the kinetic energy of the object at this time?

b) at t = 2.00s, the particle is located at x = 8.50m and y = 5.00m. What constant force acted on the object during this time interval?

2. Relevant equations

Change in K = Kfinal - Kinitial
    where K = 1/2 * m * v^2

W= force * displacement

3. The attempt at a solution

I got part a by finding the magnitude of the object's velocity then plugging my known values into the K = 0.5mv^2 equation. I got my answer to be K = 97.8J at t=0.

I'm a bit lost on what to do for part b though...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    You can compute how far the object traveled in 2 seconds. You know its speed at time = 0. Does this information suggest any other equation you might use to compute the average acceleration?

Knowing the average acceleration, you can compute the constant force.

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

If the velocity had been unchanged for the 2 seconds, the object will have moved 10.0 in the x direction, and -6 in the y direction.

Instead it ended up where they said.

Treat each dirction separately to find the acceleration in the x-direction and y-direction. COmbine them to find the overall acceleration.

F = ma should give the required force.

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook