1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-Kinetic Energy

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    With brakes fully applied, a 1590 kg car decelerates from a speed of 82.0 km/hr. What is the work done by the braking force in bringing the car to a stop?

I'm not really sure what to do here. I tried the whole (1590*82)/2. That didn't work.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Work = energy, so the work done to stop the car is the same as its energy when the braking starts.
  4. Oct 1, 2007 #3
    The work done by the brakes is the change in kinetic energy.

That's all. Notice that final velocity is zero.

You didn't use the kinetic energy equation. First of all you need to change units, velocity should be in m/s not on km/hr and this velocity should be square.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  5. Oct 1, 2007 #4
    I got 409655 Joules, I'm not sure if this is right.

The velocity I used was 22.77
  6. Oct 1, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's correct (well, more or less; I used 22.78, but it depends upon your rounding).
  7. Oct 1, 2007 #6
    According to my lon capa it's wrong.
  8. Oct 1, 2007 #7
    I got the answer wrong
  9. Oct 1, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's a "lon capa." Like I said, it depends upon your rounding and how many significant figures the answer needs to be to.
  10. Oct 1, 2007 #9
    It's some computer program that tolerates +/- 10%

I used 22.77, and I got 412.54 kJ
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?