Work Done to Stop 1590 kg Car from 82 km/hr

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the work done by the braking force in bringing the car to a stop is 412.54 kJ, calculated using the equation W=1/2*m*(Vf^2-Vi^2) with a final velocity of 0 and a mass of 1590 kg. The velocity used was 22.77 m/s and the answer may vary depending on the rounding and significant figures used.
chaotixmonjuish
With brakes fully applied, a 1590 kg car decelerates from a speed of 82.0 km/hr. What is the work done by the braking force in bringing the car to a stop?

I'm not really sure what to do here. I tried the whole (1590*82)/2. That didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work = energy, so the work done to stop the car is the same as its energy when the braking starts.

The work done by the brakes is the change in kinetic energy.

W=1/2*m(Vf^2-Vi^2)

That's all. Notice that final velocity is zero.

I tried the whole (1590*82)/2.

You didn't use the kinetic energy equation. First of all you need to change units, velocity should be in m/s not on km/hr and this velocity should be square.

Last edited:
I got 409655 Joules, I'm not sure if this is right.

The velocity I used was 22.77

chaotixmonjuish said:
I got 409655 Joules, I'm not sure if this is right.

The velocity I used was 22.77

That's correct (well, more or less; I used 22.78, but it depends upon your rounding).

According to my lon capa it's wrong.

I got the answer wrong

What's a "lon capa." Like I said, it depends upon your rounding and how many significant figures the answer needs to be to.

It's some computer program that tolerates +/- 10%

I used 22.77, and I got 412.54 kJ

1. How is "work" defined in this context?

"Work" in this context refers to the amount of energy needed to stop the car from its initial speed of 82 km/hr.

2. What are the units of work and how are they calculated?

The units of work are joules (J) and they are calculated by multiplying the force applied to stop the car by the distance over which the force is applied.

3. How is the force applied to stop the car determined?

The force applied to stop the car is determined by the car's mass and the change in its velocity. This is calculated using the formula F = m x Δv, where m is the mass of the car and Δv is the change in velocity (initial velocity - final velocity).

4. How is the distance over which the force is applied determined?

The distance over which the force is applied is determined by the braking distance of the car, which is affected by factors such as the type of brakes, condition of the brakes, and road conditions.

5. Can the work done to stop a car be reduced?

Yes, the work done to stop a car can be reduced by reducing its initial speed or by increasing the efficiency of the braking system. For example, using regenerative braking can help reduce the amount of work needed to stop a car.