1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work - Line Integral

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have exam tomorrow and there's a problem I don't know how to do.

Consider the curve C1 (x=-y^2+3y) and C2 (x=0), both defined for y[itex]\in[/itex][0,3].
    Calculate the work done by F(x,y)=(x,y^2) along the curve C=C1UC2 (retrograde direction).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution given is 0. I really don't know how to get it. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

When you traverse the curve do you wind up at your staring point? if so then the work is zero by definition, right?

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    This is not true in general. (If you have a conservative force then it is true; this force happens to be conservative, but how would you show that?)

You could parametrize the two separate trajectories as some r(t)=(x(t),y(t))

Then use ∫f(r(t))*r'(t)dt on each curve.

5. Jun 21, 2012 #4
    How do I do it for C2? I think this is the biggest problem for me.

6. Jun 21, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to show your work before you can receive help here.

7. Jun 21, 2012 #6
    Hint: Organize your work, write C2:, and then write notes for that region, like r(t)=(0,y(t)), F(x,y)=F(0,y)=... You'll have to decide on the rest of the parametrization for r(t) is, that is, what do you think y(t) should be. Decide on a and b in t=a...b. Et cetera; good luck!

8. Jun 22, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As algebrat suggests, following on what jedishrfu said (hopefully jedishrfu had already noted, but forgot to say, that the force is conservative) the simplest way to do that is show that the force is conservative. portugese, do you know how to do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook