Work needed to remove Keel-Aid from water

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water Work
In summary, the swimming pool needs to be pumped over the side to remove all of the Kool-Aid that has dissolved into the water.
ProBasket
You are visiting your friend Fabio's house. You find that, as a joke, he filled his swimming pool with Kool-Aid, which dissolved perfectly into the water. However, now that you want to swim, you must remove all of the Kool-Aid contaminated water. The swimming pool is round, with a 14 foot radius. It is 12 feet tall and has 1 feet of water in it.
How much work is required to remove all of the water by pumping it over the side? Use the physical definition of work, and the fact that the weight of the Kool-Aid contaminated water is 65.7lbs/ft^3

first of all, i figure the bounds of integration to be from 1 to 12.

volume = pi(14)^2

=196pi*ft = 65.7lbs/ft^3

so...
196pi(65.7)

my function:
distance would just be equal to x right?
[tex]\int_{1}^{12} 196*pi(65.7) * x dx [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
ProBasket said:
You are visiting your friend Fabio's house. You find that, as a joke, he filled his swimming pool with Kool-Aid, which dissolved perfectly into the water. However, now that you want to swim, you must remove all of the Kool-Aid contaminated water. The swimming pool is round, with a 14 foot radius. It is 12 feet tall and has 1 feet of water in it.
How much work is required to remove all of the water by pumping it over the side? Use the physical definition of work, and the fact that the weight of the Kool-Aid contaminated water is 65.7lbs/ft^3

[/tex]

No (unless I'm misunderstanding). You want to integrate over the height of water that needs to be pumped. There is only 1 foot of water. Draw a picture and label an axis. You can let the bottom of the pool be 0 and the top of the water be at 1. So you'd integrate from 0 to 1. The weight of an amount dx is 196pi(65.7)dx. What is the distance that this amount needs to be pushed through?

learningphysics said:
ProBasket said:

[/tex]

No (unless I'm misunderstanding). You want to integrate over the height of water that needs to be pumped. There is only 1 foot of water. Draw a picture and label an axis. You can let the bottom of the pool be 0 and the top of the water be at 1. So you'd integrate from 0 to 1. The weight of an amount dx is 196pi(65.7)dx. What is the distance that this amount needs to be pushed through?

The water needs to be pumped out of the pool, so the bounds of integration would be from 1 to 12. Youre not pumping the water from nside the pool to a height of 1m. The pools depth is 12m.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
The water needs to be pumped out of the pool, so the bounds of integration would be from 1 to 12. Youre not pumping the water from nside the pool to a height of 1m. The pools depth is 12m.

Regards,

Nenad

But there is only 1 foot of water in the pool. You are integrating over the water that needs to be pumped, not the distance that needs to be travelled.

Anyway here's the integral I figured:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1} 196*pi(65.7) * (12 - x) dx [/tex]

I see. My mistake. you're right, that integrals is correct. I mixed up the distance traveled with the integrals bounds.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is Keel-Aid and why does it need to be removed from water?

Keel-Aid is a chemical compound commonly used in the marine industry to prevent the growth of barnacles on boat hulls. It needs to be removed from water because it is toxic to aquatic life and can harm the environment.

2. How does Keel-Aid enter the water?

Keel-Aid can enter the water through runoff from boat cleaning or maintenance, as well as from boats that have been treated with the compound.

3. What is the most effective method for removing Keel-Aid from water?

The most effective method for removing Keel-Aid from water is through filtration and adsorption. This involves passing the contaminated water through a filter or adsorbent material, such as activated carbon, which can trap and remove the chemical.

4. How long does it take for Keel-Aid to dissipate in water?

The rate at which Keel-Aid dissipates in water depends on various factors such as water temperature, sunlight exposure, and water flow. In general, it can take several weeks to months for Keel-Aid to fully dissipate from water.

5. What are the potential risks associated with Keel-Aid contamination in water?

The main risk associated with Keel-Aid contamination in water is the harm it can cause to aquatic life. The chemical can also accumulate in the food chain and potentially harm other organisms, including humans, that consume contaminated water or seafood. In addition, Keel-Aid can also degrade water quality and affect the overall health of the aquatic ecosystem.