1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work negative sign

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attachment

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Why is it -umg(50)? Why negative? Also I think this has something to do with conservative force and friction, and I'm very confused on this. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

When the force is constant, Work = Force*Displacement.

In this case, it's negative because energy is being taken away from the cars by the frictional force, while they're being decelerated to a stop. The energy dissipated by friction is equal to the drop in kinetic energy (as each car comes to rest). This is conservation of energy.

μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction. mg is the weight (equal to the normal force on the car). 50ft is the distance through which car 1 moves.

BTW, there's an error in the second part of the solution. The expression for car 2 should be [itex]\sqrt{(2)(20)(0.5)(32.2)}[/itex] (i.e. 20, not 50), since 20ft is the distance car 2 takes to be brought to rest. The final stopping distance was calculated correctly, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook