1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work of a gas

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hi all. Trying to find work done for a gas... Here is the question:

A quantity of air is taken from state a to state b along a path that is a straight line in the pv-diagram (figure is attached). If Va = 0.07, Vb = .11, Pa = 100,000 , Pb = 140,000. What is the work W done by the gas in this process? Assume that the gas may be treated as ideal.

Ok i know the area under the graph is work. But instead of doing it that way can i use this way????:
    W = (integral of) p dV
    and since p is changing linearly: p = mV + b where b = 0 and m = (Pb - Pa)/(Vb - Va) = k
    so p = k* V

substituting that back into the Work equation i get:
    W = (integral of) k * V dV
    => W = k * (integral of ) V dV
    => W = k/2 (Vb2 - Va2)

ok so after all this i end up with 3600 J which is wrong (actual answer is 4800). Can any1 tell me what i'm doing wrong? or why this technique doesn't work?

once again i know u can just find the area of the graph, but i want to know why this way is wrong..
    Thanks all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Where has "So p = k.V" come from? It implies that the line goes through the origin, which it doesn't. I think something has gone wrong with your algebra, though this started correctly.

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3

perplexabot

Gold Member

p = k * V where k is just m or the slope ( (Pb - Pa)/(Vb - Va) ).
    and if the figure is scaled correctly, if you continue the line, it will pass through the origin.

could it be that i didn't take into account the integrating constant?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. Jul 16, 2011 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

I don't think the line does go through the origin. PA/VA doesn't equal PB/VB.

6. Jul 16, 2011 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With a definite integral there isn't and "integrating constant" is there? The difference between values at the limits will cancel it out.

Are you sure that the "actual answer" is correct? I can't be bothered to do the substitution sums but your algebra looks fine. If you have put the right numbers into the result of your algebra / integration, then your answer should be right, I think.

I think your way of working out the area is using the 'wrong' trapesium. If you use the one with the p along the base, you get the same answer as your integration method. (i.e. swap your axes)

I must say, I started off thinking Boyle's Law and got totally confused until I re-read the OP!!

7. Jul 16, 2011 #6

Philip Wood

Gold Member

To reiterate: the linear relationship between P and V cannot be written as P = kV, for the reason I've given. This needs sorting out before proceeding to the integration.

8. Jul 16, 2011 #7

perplexabot

Gold Member

hey... alright so your saying p =mV + b where b is NOT equal to zero because the line does NOT pass though the origin...

pa = m*Va + b
    pa = 100,000
    Va = .07
    m = (pb - pa) / (Vb - Va) = (140,000 - 100,000)/(.11 - .07)
    = 40,000/.04 = 1 *106

b = pa - m*Va = 100,000 - (106 * .07) = 30,000

so p = kV + b
    => p = 106V + 30,000

using the above equation for p, I subbed it back into the Work equation and solved.... I got exactly 4800 (which is the correct answer). So as you said Philip, the line does NOT pass through the origin.. Thanks for your help...

9. Jul 16, 2011 #8

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Well done for your persistence! I expect, though, that having satisfied yourself that the integration method works, you'll use the simple 'area of trapezium' method if you meet straight lines again in the p, V context!

10. Jul 16, 2011 #9

perplexabot

Gold Member

ok thanks for clearing that out. i didn't know that only indefinite integrals had integrating constants. that actually helps a lot. thanks

11. Jul 16, 2011 #10

perplexabot

Gold Member

yes, i will be using the area method from now on. i just wanted to see if i can do it otherwise.. thanks for the help...

12. Jul 16, 2011 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that you, as I did at first, have missed the point and not read the question fully. You can make p proportional to v if you like over a limited range. Boyle's Law (pv=a constant) only holds for constant temperature. You can ' insist' on any relationship as long as you are prepared to add or take away the appropriate amount of internal energy.
    That graph could not ever go to the origin - it wouldn't hold to a straight line without ridiculous / impossible imposed conditions.

13. Jul 16, 2011 #12

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes but you need to choose the right area;one that integrates p dv and not v dp. In the same way that Work done = distance moved times force and not force change times distance.

14. Jul 17, 2011 #13

Philip Wood

Gold Member

I think that who missed the point and who didn't is clear from the sequence of responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook