How Is Work Calculated in a Stretched Spring?

In summary: So, in summary, the work done by the force in terms of d is W = (kd^2)/2. This can be found by integrating the force equation F = kdx and plugging it into the work equation W = integral(F*dx).
MrLiou168

Homework Statement

A spring with stiffness k and unstretched length L is stretched so the elongation is d = x2 - L. A force is applied to make the final length of the spring x2. What is the work done by the force in terms of d?

Homework Equations

W = F * d = F*dx
d = x2 - L
F = k*dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming W = F*dx and F = k*dx, then I derived F = k(x2 - L) = k*d

And plugging F back into the work equation, I got W = (kd)*d which is W = kd^2.

However, isn't the actual equation for work done by a spring W = (kx^2)/2? I can't seem to find where I missed the factor of 1/2. Any help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed in your derivation that the force was constant and equal to its maximum value. Not so. As the spring is stretched, the force starts at zero and only reaches k*d at its full extension.

Thanks Doc. So in this case would I simply integrate to find W? As in W = integral (F*dx)

and then W = integral(kxdx) = (kd^2)/2 ...?

MrLiou168 said:
Thanks Doc. So in this case would I simply integrate to find W? As in W = integral (F*dx)

and then W = integral(kxdx) = (kd^2)/2 ...?
Exactly.

Your derivation is correct in terms of the work done by the force on the spring. However, the equation for work done by a spring is actually W = (kx^2)/2, as you mentioned. This is because the force applied to the spring is not constant as it stretches, but rather it increases as the spring stretches due to Hooke's Law (F = kx). Therefore, the work done must take into account the varying force and is given by the integral of F*dx, which results in the (kx^2)/2 term. So, your initial derivation is correct, but the final equation for work done by the force should be W = (kx^2)/2.

1. What is spring constant and how is it related to a spring's work?

The spring constant, denoted as k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. The work of a spring is directly proportional to its spring constant, meaning that a higher spring constant results in more work being done by the spring.

2. How is the work of a spring calculated?

The work of a spring can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2 * k * x^2, where W is the work done by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This formula is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in the work formula for a spring?

The negative sign in the work formula for a spring indicates that the work done by a spring is always in the opposite direction of the force applied to it. This means that when a spring is stretched, the force applied is in the opposite direction of the spring's displacement, resulting in a negative work value.

4. How does the work of a spring change with different spring constants?

The work of a spring is directly proportional to its spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the work done by the spring also increases. Similarly, as the spring constant decreases, the work done by the spring decreases.

5. Can the work of a spring be negative?

Yes, the work of a spring can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to the spring is in the opposite direction of the spring's displacement. In this case, the work formula for a spring results in a negative value, indicating that the spring is doing work against the force applied to it.