Work of Drag Force: Find k & n Values

In summary, the drag force on an object is given by Fd=1/2*ρ*v^2*Cd*A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the speed of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object. This formula can be used to find the work of the drag force in terms of velocity, given by Wd=kV^n, where k is a constant value and n is a real number. In order to find the terminal velocity of a group of tiny aquatic animals, the drag force must be taken into account in the calculation. The shape of the group and the distance over which the force acts can also affect the efficiency of the group
kbuild

Homework Statement

Find work of drag force in term of proportional to Velocity
(Like: Wd=kV^n ,when k=constant value n=Real number)

Homework Equations

(Fd=1/2*ρ*v^2*Cd*A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've a problem with my science project.
I try to find the terminal velocity of a group of tiny aquatic animal.
To find that I use Energy conserve, and to make it more realistic i should put drag force in my calculation.
So, i need to use drag force in term of work (Joule) to be able to mix with energy.

here is my attemption, Fd=1/2*ρ*v^2*Cd*A
Fd*s=1/2*ρ*v^2*Cd*A*s
Wd = k*V^2*s
umm, let me introduce you to my way to find the terminal velocity of a group of tiny aquatic animal in order to know my problem.
Given the group is in rectangle shape
Then i try to separate it into many layers to understand the effect of each part thoroughly.
so, i think there is no space between each layer... i don't know s

is there any fault in my logic? and how to solve this?

Thank you for your help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to know how the drag force depends on speed.
You are assuming it is quadratic with speed - is this a good assumption?
(Perhaps it is only an example?)

Since this is a "project", perhaps you need to do an experiment ... or is it not that kind of project?

It is not clear why you feel it will help to consider a "block" of "fish" instead of just doing the calc for one of them.

Anyway - looks like s is the distance the force acts over - which would be Vt.
If you divide through by time, you get power.

Note -
the rate you lose energy due to drag is (dW/dt)
so the fish needs to supply energy at this rate to maintain a constant kinetic energy and thus speed.

The speed the "fish" moves depends on the rate it supplies energy. If you know how drag varies with speed for the animal, and you observe it's speed, you can work out how efficiently it converts food into motive power - for example.

But it is usually easier to start from the balance of forces.

Last edited:
Drag force is quadratic with speed according to Fd=1/2*ρ*v^2*Cd*A (is'nt it the normal equation?)

For my project, the tiny aquatic animal used in my project is 'euglena' which 80μm long.
So their group is about 1,000 units/mm^2.
In my opinion, it will complicate if i calculate every one of them.
And in my project, i'll find how to use their 'group' to push things with most efficiency.
i decided to use mathamatical model before do the experiment.

Group was separated to find the most effiiciency shape of euglena group or shape that can produce highest velocity(same group's mass).

I choosed 'work' and 'energy' because it's easy to measure(just measure velocity and mass).

I'll try to solve it on my matlab, thank you so much for your advice! ^_^
if some of my logic seem weird, please tell me.

1. What is the work of drag force?

The work of drag force is the amount of energy required to overcome the resistance of air or fluid on an object as it moves through it. It is a result of the force of air or fluid pushing against the object in the opposite direction of its motion.

2. How do you find the k and n values for drag force?

The k and n values for drag force can be found by conducting experiments and collecting data on the object's velocity, density of the fluid, and cross-sectional area. These values can then be plugged into equations such as the drag force equation or the drag coefficient equation to determine the k and n values.

3. What is the significance of k and n values in drag force?

The k and n values in drag force help to quantify the relationship between an object's velocity and the force of drag acting on it. These values also provide insight into the shape and size of an object and how it interacts with air or fluid as it moves through it.

4. Can k and n values change for the same object?

Yes, the k and n values for an object can change depending on factors such as the object's shape, velocity, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through. These values are not constant and can vary in different scenarios.

5. How does drag force affect the motion of an object?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down and reducing its velocity. The higher the drag force, the more it will impact the object's motion and the harder it will be to maintain its speed or accelerate.