Calculating Work done by a Spring on a Ladle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the rate at which a horizontal spring does work on a 3.00 kg ladle sliding on a frictionless surface. The ladle has a kinetic energy of 10.00 J at its equilibrium position and is compressed by 10cm while moving away from this position. The correct calculation involves finding the velocity of the ladle using the kinetic energy formula and then multiplying it by the force calculated using the spring constant and the distance from the equilibrium position. After a mistake is found, the correct answer is determined to be -88.01 W.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A 3.00 kg ladle sliding on a horizontal frictionless surface is attached to one end of a horizontal spring (with k = 468 N/m) the other end of which is fixed. The ladle has a kinetic energy of 10.00 J as it passes through its equilibrium position (the point at which the spring force is zero).

At what rate is the spring doing work on the ladle when the spring is compressed by 10.0 cm and the ladle is moving away from the equilibrium position?

Homework Equations

K = 1/2mv2

W = 1/2kx2

F = -kx

P = F*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the velocity

10 = 1/2(3)(v2)
v = 2.58

I found the force next

F = -468(.1)
F = -46.8

Then i found the power which is the rate of the spring doing work on the ladle

P = -46.8(2.58)
P = -120.74 W

Can anyone tell me where i went wrong here?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're not supposed to use the speed for this calculation. The speed you calculated is for the equilibrium state, but that's not the speed of the ladle when the spring is compressed by 10cm.

If i don't use speed do you have any suggestions on how to find the answer cause i am drawing a blank right now...

Pinsky's right. You are on the right track and you just have to find its speed when it's compressed by 10cm using the kinetic energy formula.

Does this maybe seem right to find my velocity i need.

W = 1/2 k x^2

W = 1/2(468)(.1^2)

W = 4.68 J

W = K = 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv_i^2

4.68 = 1/2(3)(v^2) - 0

v = 1.767 m/s

Again, it's the right idea. You made two mistakes. Work done should be negative. Think about why that is. And your v_i should be 2.58 where you got from 10J of energy.

Thanks i got the final velocity now :)

-4.68 = 1/2(3)(v) - 1/2(3)(2.58)

v = 1.88 m/s

then from here i am not sure what force to multiply this velocity by.

is it F = -kx

F = -468(.1)

F = -46.8 J

so

P = -46.8(1.88) = -88.01 W

I think you've got the right answer. Just remember, the equation F= -kx, where x is the distance relative the equilibrium position.

Thank you for the help. I just tried -88.01 but my online homework said it was wrong.. I don't see anything wrong hmmm.. :(

You are welcome. But I don't anything wrong either. Maybe it's the rounding?

mybrohshi5 said:
Does this maybe seem right to find my velocity i need.

W = 1/2 k x^2

W = 1/2(468)(.1^2)

W = 4.68 J

W = K = 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv_i^2

4.68 = 1/2(3)(v^2) - 0

v = 1.767 m/s

I found your mistake. Work should be -2.34 J.

ahhh! thank you so much. i really appreciate it :)

What is the formula for calculating work done by a spring on a ladle?

The formula for calculating work done by a spring on a ladle is W = (1/2)kx^2, where W represents work, k represents the spring constant, and x represents the displacement of the spring.

What is the unit for work done by a spring on a ladle?

The unit for work done by a spring on a ladle is joules (J). This is because work is the product of force and displacement, and both force and displacement are measured in standard SI unit of Newtons (N) and meters (m) respectively.

How do I calculate the spring constant (k) for a given spring?

The spring constant (k) can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented as k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the displacement of the spring.

Can the work done by a spring on a ladle be negative?

Yes, the work done by a spring on a ladle can be negative. This occurs when the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the force applied to the spring. In this case, the work done by the spring is considered negative work.

What are some real-life applications of calculating work done by a spring on a ladle?

One real-life application of calculating work done by a spring on a ladle is in the design and functioning of shock absorbers in vehicles. The springs in the shock absorbers work to absorb the impact of bumps and vibrations on the vehicle, and the calculation of work done by the spring helps engineers determine the appropriate strength and design of the springs for optimal performance.