Calculating Work on a Bucket Hanging in a Well

• Thread starter mjjaques
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope Work
In summary, a 6.75 kg bucket is raised 4.00 m in a well with a frictionless pulley and a horizontal force is applied to the end of the rope. The force of tension is unknown, but it must be greater than the force of gravity for the bucket to accelerate upwards. The work done by the person pulling the rope is 3.60 J, the work done by gravity is -0.900 J, and the total work done on the bucket is 2.70 J. The back of the book lists different answers, but the work done by the person is enough to raise the bucket a small distance.
mjjaques

Homework Statement

An old oaken bucket of mass 6.75 kg hangs in a well at the end of a rope. The rope passes over a frictionless pulley at the top of the well, and you pull horizontally on the end of the rope to raise the bucket slowly a distance of 4.00 m. (a) How much work do you do on the bucket in pulling it up? (b) How much work does gravity do on the bucket? (c) What is the total work on the bucket?

m=6.75 kg, s=4.00 m

Homework Equations

F=ma, W=Fs

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this should be easy, right? It's just one-dimensional movement... but how do I know what the force of tension is? I drew a free body diagram for the bucket - the only forces are FG and FT, but I only know that FT is greater than FG (if it's accelerating upward). I don't know how to actually find the force of tension acting on the bucket.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the bucket accelerating if it's being "raised slowly"? I think that you can presume a constant speed over the 4.00 m.

So, if FT=mg then, wouldn't the answer to part (a) be (6.75 kg)(9.8 m/s2)(4.00 m) = 264.6 J? But that would make the total work equal zero, with gravity doing -264.6 J. The back of the book says the answers are (a): 3.60 J, (b): -.900 J, (c): 2.70 J

Well, it's a mystery. 3.60 J is enough energy to raise a 6.75 kg bucket about 5.4 cm.

To find the force of tension, you can use the equation F=ma, where F represents the force of tension, m is the mass of the bucket, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is zero since the bucket is moving at a constant velocity. Therefore, the force of tension is equal to the force of gravity acting on the bucket, which is given by the equation FG=mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Once you have determined the force of tension, you can use the equation W=Fs to calculate the work done on the bucket. Remember to use the displacement of 4.00 m as the distance (s) in this equation. To find the work done by gravity, you can use the equation W=Fs again, but this time the force (F) will be equal to the force of gravity (FG). Finally, to find the total work, you can simply add the work done by tension and the work done by gravity. I hope this helps!

1. What is "Work on a Bucket on a Rope"?

"Work on a Bucket on a Rope" is a simple science experiment that demonstrates the concept of work, force, and gravity. It involves pulling a bucket full of sand or weights using a rope and measuring the amount of work done.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a bucket, sand or weights, a rope, a ruler or measuring tape, and a stopwatch or timer.

3. How do you perform the experiment?

To perform the experiment, fill the bucket with sand or weights and tie one end of the rope securely to the bucket handle. Then, attach the other end of the rope to a fixed object, such as a doorknob or a tree branch. Pull the bucket up by the rope and measure the distance it is lifted. Repeat this process three times and record the data. Finally, calculate the work done by multiplying the force applied (the weight of the bucket) by the distance it was lifted.

4. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between work, force, and gravity. By measuring the work done in lifting the bucket, we can see how much force is required to overcome the gravitational force pulling the bucket down.

5. What are some real-life applications of this experiment?

This experiment can be applied to real-life scenarios, such as lifting objects with pulleys or cranes. It can also be used to understand the concept of work and force in everyday activities, such as carrying groceries or lifting weights at the gym.