1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work on a Sliding Box

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box of mass m is sliding along a horizontal surface.
    Part A) The box leaves position x=0 with a speed v0. The box is slowed by a constant frictional force until it comes to rest at a position x=x1. Find Ff, the magnitude of the average frictional force that acts on the box. (express in terms of m, v0, and x1.
    I found the correct answer to part A...(Ff=(mv02)/2x1)

Part B) After the box comes to rest at a position x1, a person starts pushing the box giving it a speed v1. When the box reaches position x2 (where x2>x1), how much work Wp has the person done on the box? Assume that the box reaches x2 after a person has accelerated it from rest to speed v1. Express the work in terms of m,v0,x1,x2, and v1.

2. Relevant equations

W=ΔKE
    W=F*d

3. The attempt at a solution

So I figured that the total work would be the work done in part A (-(mv02)/2x1)*(x1)
    added to the work done between x1 and x2:
    -(mv02(x2-x1))/2x1

however when I add these two solutions, it tells me that the answer needs to include v1. So then I thought to solve for v1 by setting the work done between x1 and x2 equal to the change in kinetic energy between that time frame which gave me:

KE = (mv12)/2 = work between x1 and x2

v02=(x1v12)/-(x2-x1)

so that allowed me to have v1 in my final answer...but mastering physics is still telling me it's incorrect.

Any advice/help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You were nearly right the first time - what distance does the friction force act over?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted