1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work on sliding bag on aircraft

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    Can anyone help me with this problem?

A flight attendant pulls her 70.0 N flight bag a distance of 258 m along a level airport floor at a constant speed. The force she exerts is 32.0 N at an angle of 52.0° above the horizontal. Find the work she does on the flight bag and the work done by the force of friction of the flight bag.

I was able to make a free body diagram and see that the weight of the flight bag is 70 newtons, the displacement is 258 m. But when I solved for W, which is force x displacement x cosine 52 degrees I got the wrong answer.
    (70 x 258 x cos52).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2
    your answer looks right to me, why do you say that it is wrong.

1345.65J

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Isn't the calculation 32*cos52*258? Since the speed was constant, friction did the same amount of work.

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

Because the assignment is online, I'm able to put it in to see if I get it right or not.

6. Nov 4, 2005 #5

lightgrav

Homework Helper

The 70 N weight has nothing to do withthe flight attendant's Work;
    most of it is cancelled by the Surface compression Force by the Floor (F_N).
    vertigo is right, there.
    But Friction did a NEGATIVE amount of Work
    (total external Work done on the bag = change of its KE = 0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?