Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work out?

1. Jun 26, 2007 #1
    do any of you guys exercise or is the stereotype fitting? if so what kind of exercise? personally i lift weights and do mma and ride my bike a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2007 #2
    What an odd question :confused:

I collect pens in my pocket protector. Mmmkay?
  4. Jun 26, 2007 #3
    I actually used to run varsity cross-country for a Division-I program until an unfortunate series of events (I can't quite remember if it was a power series or not :wink:...sorry couldn't resist) that converged to two broken legs. However, I still run semi-competitively and I train sometime with a fellow physics major. I also play racquetball and tennis when the opportunity presents itself. So no, I don't really fit the stereotype, but then again, I've met physics and math people from just about every walk of life imaginable. That's one of the reasons that I love it!
  5. Jun 26, 2007 #4
    I lift weights 2x a week and bike/rollerblade/run (whatever I feel like out of those 3) pretty much every night throughout the summer. :smile:
  6. Jun 26, 2007 #5
    lift weights 5x's a week, run 4miles everyday w/ some uphill sprint training. I could never do long distance running though (more than 8 mi), I just don't have the body type for it.

also, back in the day i used to play ice hockey and lacrosse.

you need to exercise your mind and body

lol actually I think about math problems a lot when I am running, it makes the time go by much faster. it really is like meditation
  7. Jun 26, 2007 #6
    man i know i should be running but its just so hard to start
  8. Jun 26, 2007 #7
    I always thought that my favorite running shoe said it best:
    ASICS - Anima Sana In Corpore Sano (sound mind in a sound body)

I do the same! Though, occasionally when I'm really stuck, I just clear my mind while running and focus on the run and nothing else. Then when I come back to the problem my mind can see the problem more directly since all the clutter has been removed.
  9. Jun 26, 2007 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I lift weights whenever I get some time. I also play Ultimate Frisbee regularly.
  10. Jun 26, 2007 #9
    I used to lift 5-6 days a week. But school gobbles up all your time and crushes your ability to lift when you have project after project. So, Ill resume working out after school.
  11. Jun 26, 2007 #10

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, this is my problem. I really wish I had more time to lift, but classes take up time, then by the times the day is over, I'm exhausted and have homework.
  12. Jun 26, 2007 #11

Staff: Mentor

I lift 2-3 times a week and run 3-4, though I had a lazy winter and have had some running issues due to a pulled calf muscle that won't go away.
  13. Jun 26, 2007 #12

Gold Member

I walk 2 blocks to work and back almost every day (with my 10kg computer bag). If it's raining, though, and our shifts are compatible, I get W to drive me.
    I do a lot of weightlifting, too. That's probably 10 curls for a can of beer, times 6-8 per session...
  14. Jun 27, 2007 #13

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

15. Jun 27, 2007 #14
    yea but its not a full can the whole time, you need to do a work integral to figure out how much energy you actually use up.
  16. Jun 27, 2007 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About last November I started doing a 1.75 mi walk with my dogs every day. Just doing that I have dropped ~15lb. I tried running with them but within a few weeks my feet were hurting, had to confine myself to walking. I have some pretty good running shoes and thought I could run some, but I am not a graceful runner, and at ~240lbs there is a lot of shock for my feet to adsorb.
  17. Jun 27, 2007 #16
    run on grass, you're not supposed to run on cement, it's very bad for the cartilage in your knees.
  18. Jun 27, 2007 #17
    I lift 4 times a week. I do cardio (bike, run, treadmill, spar in boxing and radori in judo, whatever) for 40 minutes non stop 5 times a week. I take judo classes and practice judo a lot.

How often did you run? Especially when starting out, you shouldn't really run two days in a row. You should run 3 times week or so for the first two weeks. Some people even say that in your third week you shouldn't even run, just do other cardio. Then in your fourth and whatever weeks follow, maybe run 4 times a week. Don't follow this advice without doing your own research. It's possible that this isn't 100% accurate. It's also possible this is exactly what you did and your feet started to hurt a lot. You also didn't mention if you stretched. You want to make sure you stretch every time before and after. Warm up first, then stretch, then run, then stretch and cool down.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  19. Jun 27, 2007 #18
    I sit around eating cupcakes all day and weigh 600lbs. What the heck kind of thread is this?

As far as not having time to go to the gym, that is ridiculous. If I can work 20-30 hours per week while going to school full time, then anyone can -- especially considering I'm not exactly the brightest bulb in the box.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  20. Jun 27, 2007 #19

Homework Helper

I do weightlifting and sit-ups 4-5 times a week, and I go jogging 3-4 times a week. It feels great and it's a necessary component of my life.
  21. Jun 27, 2007 #20
    lol what strange responces to this thread.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?