Are You Working Out? What's Your Favorite Type of Exercise?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: November I started doing a 1.75 mi walk with my dogs every day. Just doing that I have dropped ~15lb. I tried running with them but within a few weeks my feet were hurting, had to confine myself to walking. I have some pretty good running shoes and thought I could run some, but I am not a graceful runner, and at ~240lbs there is a lot of...um...ground to cover.In summary, most people exercise by lifting weights or running. Some people do other types of exercise as well.
ice109
do any of you guys exercise or is the stereotype fitting? if so what kind of exercise? personally i lift weights and do mma and ride my bike a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
What an odd question :confused:

I collect pens in my pocket protector. Mmmkay?

I actually used to run varsity cross-country for a Division-I program until an unfortunate series of events (I can't quite remember if it was a power series or not :wink:...sorry couldn't resist) that converged to two broken legs. However, I still run semi-competitively and I train sometime with a fellow physics major. I also play racquetball and tennis when the opportunity presents itself. So no, I don't really fit the stereotype, but then again, I've met physics and math people from just about every walk of life imaginable. That's one of the reasons that I love it!

I lift weights 2x a week and bike/rollerblade/run (whatever I feel like out of those 3) pretty much every night throughout the summer. :smile:

lift weights 5x's a week, run 4miles everyday w/ some uphill sprint training. I could never do long distance running though (more than 8 mi), I just don't have the body type for it.

also, back in the day i used to play ice hockey and lacrosse. you need to exercise your mind and bodylol actually I think about math problems a lot when I am running, it makes the time go by much faster. it really is like meditation

gravenewworld said:
lift weights 5x's a week, run 4miles everyday w/ some uphill sprint training. I could never do long distance running though (more than 8 mi), I just don't have the body type for it.

also, back in the day i used to play ice hockey and lacrosse.

you need to exercise your mind and body

lol actually I think about math problems a lot when I am running, it makes the time go by much faster. it really is like meditation

man i know i should be running but its just so hard to start

gravenewworld said:
you need to exercise your mind and body

I always thought that my favorite running shoe said it best:
ASICS - Anima Sana In Corpore Sano (sound mind in a sound body)

gravenewworld said:
lol actually I think about math problems a lot when I am running, it makes the time go by much faster. it really is like meditation

I do the same! Though, occasionally when I'm really stuck, I just clear my mind while running and focus on the run and nothing else. Then when I come back to the problem my mind can see the problem more directly since all the clutter has been removed.

I lift weights whenever I get some time. I also play Ultimate Frisbee regularly.

I used to lift 5-6 days a week. But school gobbles up all your time and crushes your ability to lift when you have project after project. So, Ill resume working out after school.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I used to lift 5-6 days a week. But school gobbles up all your time and crushes your ability to lift when you have project after project. So, Ill resume working out after school.

Yeah, this is my problem. I really wish I had more time to lift, but classes take up time, then by the times the day is over, I'm exhausted and have homework.

I lift 2-3 times a week and run 3-4, though I had a lazy winter and have had some running issues due to a pulled calf muscle that won't go away.

I walk 2 blocks to work and back almost every day (with my 10kg computer bag). If it's raining, though, and our shifts are compatible, I get W to drive me.
I do a lot of weightlifting, too. That's probably 10 curls for a can of beer, times 6-8 per session...

Danger said:
I do a lot of weightlifting, too. That's probably 10 curls for a can of beer, times 6-8 per session...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Danger said:
I walk 2 blocks to work and back almost every day (with my 10kg computer bag). If it's raining, though, and our shifts are compatible, I get W to drive me.

yea but its not a full can the whole time, you need to do a work integral to figure out how much energy you actually use up.

About last November I started doing a 1.75 mi walk with my dogs every day. Just doing that I have dropped ~15lb. I tried running with them but within a few weeks my feet were hurting, had to confine myself to walking. I have some pretty good running shoes and thought I could run some, but I am not a graceful runner, and at ~240lbs there is a lot of shock for my feet to adsorb.

Integral said:
About last November I started doing a 1.75 mi walk with my dogs every day. Just doing that I have dropped ~15lb. I tried running with them but within a few weeks my feet were hurting, had to confine myself to walking. I have some pretty good running shoes and thought I could run some, but I am not a graceful runner, and at ~240lbs there is a lot of shock for my feet to adsorb.

run on grass, you're not supposed to run on cement, it's very bad for the cartilage in your knees.

I lift 4 times a week. I do cardio (bike, run, treadmill, spar in boxing and radori in judo, whatever) for 40 minutes non stop 5 times a week. I take judo classes and practice judo a lot.

EDIT:

Integral,

How often did you run? Especially when starting out, you shouldn't really run two days in a row. You should run 3 times week or so for the first two weeks. Some people even say that in your third week you shouldn't even run, just do other cardio. Then in your fourth and whatever weeks follow, maybe run 4 times a week. Don't follow this advice without doing your own research. It's possible that this isn't 100% accurate. It's also possible this is exactly what you did and your feet started to hurt a lot. You also didn't mention if you stretched. You want to make sure you stretch every time before and after. Warm up first, then stretch, then run, then stretch and cool down.

Last edited:
I sit around eating cupcakes all day and weigh 600lbs. What the heck kind of thread is this?

As far as not having time to go to the gym, that is ridiculous. If I can work 20-30 hours per week while going to school full time, then anyone can -- especially considering I'm not exactly the brightest bulb in the box.

Last edited:
I do weightlifting and sit-ups 4-5 times a week, and I go jogging 3-4 times a week. It feels great and it's a necessary component of my life.

cyrusabdollahi said:
What an odd question :confused:

I collect pens in my pocket protector. Mmmkay?

Beeza said:
I sit around eating cupcakes all day and weigh 600lbs. What the heck kind of thread is this?

As far as not having time to go to the gym, that is ridiculous. If I can work 20-30 hours per week while going to school full time, then anyone can -- especially considering I'm not exactly the brightest bulb in the box.

lol what strange responces to this thread.

Beeza said:

If you are dead tired from school, putting extra strain on your body by lifting weights isn't a smart idea. True, you could make time for it, but its not time well spent IMO. Id rather just relax and play some cards or go to a bar than lift weights during the school year. I used to work out, get stronger, school would start, lose it all. Summer would start, back to working out, lose it next semester. Work out winter break, lose it spring semester. Its a waste of time like this.

cyrusabdollahi said:
If you are dead tired from school, putting extra strain on your body by lifting weights isn't a smart idea. True, you could make time for it, but its not time well spent IMO. Id rather just relax and play some cards or go to a bar than lift weights during the school year. I used to work out, get stronger, school would start, lose it all. Summer would start, back to working out, lose it next semester. Work out winter break, lose it spring semester. Its a waste of time like this.

Yeah, same here. I was doing the same thing. I started out pretty big though.

Now, I'm just like athletic looking. I can't even count how many people (mostly girls :biggrin:) who think I play sports. I just jog and do bodyweight exercises and stuff. That's about it.

To workout hardcore during the school year isn't even worth the effort. It's a lot of work, but I won't choose going to the bar over it though. Not a fan of future beer guts.

Well then I guess my view is a bit biased considering the gym is my biggest passion. Although I am kind of dreading the last few weeks of my contest preparation falling right near mid-term time. There's nothing like severe carb depletion and crankiness while trying to study late into the night ;)

ice109 said:
yea but its not a full can the whole time

That's part of the plan. This way, my muscles have time to recover before the sudden strain of that next full one. If I wanted the weight to be more consistent, I'd use bottles.

I weight train 3x a week with some cardio mixed in where I have time. Play indoor soccer once a week which will surely expedite my untimely end due to heart attack, but it's a BLAST. I'm glad so many of us "nerds" get out and take care of ourselves. Although I too am a fan of powerlifting the occational Corona w/ lime or vodka and water.

all you guys complaining that they don't enough time to work out, you can lift 3x a week for an hour a day using the right plan and you'll be plenty strong. buzzword is bill starr 5x5

I weight train at least 3 times a week, my max is usually 5. I do cardio, too. I prefer to run for cardio thought, sometimes i'll just use the machines. I used to ride my bike a lot, but with my current time constraints that is not possible anymore.

ice109 said:
all you guys complaining that they don't enough time to work out, you can lift 3x a week for an hour a day using the right plan and you'll be plenty strong. buzzword is bill starr 5x5

I don't want to get jacked. Sorry, but no. I don't see a reason in getting really big. I'm in shape and healthy.

Getting really big would just be stupid because then if you stop, you body shape changes, or if you get bigger, your body shape changes. The suits and clothes you wear won't fit properly anymore and I don't think most of us can afford to replace nice suits or clothes. I like European style cuts and I fit well in them. They aren't cheap.

JasonRox said:
I don't want to get jacked. Sorry, but no. I don't see a reason in getting really big. I'm in shape and healthy.

Getting really big would just be stupid because then if you stop, you body shape changes, or if you get bigger, your body shape changes. The suits and clothes you wear won't fit properly anymore and I don't think most of us can afford to replace nice suits or clothes. I like European style cuts and I fit well in them. They aren't cheap.

trust me getting "big" isn't a danger most people face. it takes an enormous amount of effort to get "big". and there is a point to being strong, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns during rest. additionally muscular strength is very important as you age for things like balance and weight bearing exercises inhibit osteoperosis.

changing clothes size takes years.

I just started playing squash, anyone play it? I only played 7-8 times but I see improvements every day...it's amazing. I'm skipping today though because my muscles are sore.

Physics_wiz said:
I just started playing squash, anyone play it? I only played 7-8 times but I see improvements every day...it's amazing. I'm skipping today though because my muscles are sore.

ehh I've played racquetball and i don't really dig it, but that's cause i suck and end up just flailing the racket around mostly.

ice109 said:
trust me getting "big" isn't a danger most people face. it takes an enormous amount of effort to get "big". and there is a point to being strong, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns during rest. additionally muscular strength is very important as you age for things like balance and weight bearing exercises inhibit osteoperosis.

changing clothes size takes years.

I'm totally aware of that. Like I said, I used to be big and I was into building muscles.

If I start lifting weights, I will gain muscles and size even if I put little effort into it. Plus, I have a hard time lifting without lifting hard which means I'll get big again.

Another thing I mentionned is that I'm not small now either. I have maybe like 10% bodyfat when it was like 11% but since I stopped eating beef and pork I noticed that it went down a tiny little bit. You see my abs no problems. I have arms and a chest. My metabolism is insanely fast and have no worries about gaining weight. I eat healthy and probably healthier than those who actually lift and go to the gym regularly.

Honestly, I see no reason for I to lift weights. Doing push ups, crunches, wide grip pull ups and chin ups and other various bodyweight exercises is all I need.

I lift weights 6 days a week and jog at least a kilometer everyday. I wish I could go back to playing football (soccer), but I've badly hurt my toe, otherwise I'd do that too, I was in the school football team as a defender.

JasonRox said:
snip

just out of curiosity what were your "stats" in your hayday and what are they now. standard bodyweight,bench, squat, deadlift will suffice

ice109 said:
just out of curiosity what were your "stats" in your hayday and what are they now. standard bodyweight,bench, squat, deadlift will suffice

All I remember is my bench press because my brother and I were planning on powerlifting with the bench press as our specialty. I weighed in at like 157 pounds (5 foot 9 inches) and benched 240 pounds raw. I didn't want to train with a shirt until I hit like 275 raw while staying under 160 pounds. As for squats, I mostly did leg press instead of squats because I certainly did not want bad knees. I worked out in a "juice factory" for awhile and lots of them admitted to having knee problems. Of course, that's normally associated with bad form and such, but any stress on the knees, no matter how perfect, eventually will wear them down.

I don't really remember body measurements though.

I was definitely in shape. Of course 157 pounds sounds small, but I didn't look small. The weight was attributed to my small frame (hence why European style cuts look good on me). My brother once weighed in at 145 pounds and guys on the hockey team thought he weighed atleast 170 pounds. Definitely small frame.

My favourite exercises were Low Row's, Lat Pulldowns and Leg Extensions. I loved the back workouts and just loved how your legs get so pumped up. My least favourites and surprisingly were the Bench Press, anything with biceps and calves.

I can get measurements now I guess. I would say my biceps are 14 inches right now by the looks of it, which is fine.

My bench press now? I have no idea. My squat or deadlift? I don't know know. My weight is like 148 pounds now.