Are You Working Out? What's Your Favorite Type of Exercise?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: November I started doing a 1.75 mi walk with my dogs every day. Just doing that I have dropped ~15lb. I tried running with them but within a few weeks my feet were hurting, had to confine myself to walking. I have some pretty good running shoes and thought I could run some, but I am not a graceful runner, and at ~240lbs there is a lot of...um...ground to cover.In summary, most people exercise by lifting weights or running. Some people do other types of exercise as well.
The thing I miss so much about NOT lifting (injury, and no time at the moment) is I could eat ANYTHING. Seriously, I was a tank. Now I run as much as possible, but the muscle is shedding away, and some fat is starting to appear :(

Muscles need calories. So, if you are the type of person who doesn't enjoy dieting, lifting can be a great way to reduce it. You still need to eat smart, but you don't have to count.

Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
Moe, if you want to get girls, don't workout your body. Workout your personality.

..or both. :biggrin:

Btw cyrus, without your shirt, you still look like you have one.

Same thing here. Tennis.

cyrusabdollahi said:
if you want to get girls, don't workout your body. Workout your personality.

radou said:
..or both. :biggrin:

yea :biggrin:. I think girls care more about looks than they like to admit. since I've been somewhat more fit, I have noticed a difference in the way a girl reacts when I'm with her, and I doubt my personality has changed drastically in the past few months. — though I guess it could be more related with the increased confidence that comes along with working out.

moe darklight said:
though I guess it could be more related with the increased confidence that comes along with working out.

boom.

I knew this guy who did standup comedy. He was kinda fit, but nothing like a six-pack-dude. However he would act really really(even if he wasn't) confident. He could seriously get any girl he wanted.

Why not lift? Why not be fit? Why not be able to feel good, and look good in clothing? There are a lot of benefits to it. It is time consuming, but it's a good thing to consume time.

FrogPad said:
boom.

I knew this guy who did standup comedy. He was kinda fit, but nothing like a six-pack-dude. However he would act really really(even if he wasn't) confident. He could seriously get any girl he wanted.

Why not lift? Why not be fit? Why not be able to feel good, and look good in clothing? There are a lot of benefits to it. It is time consuming, but it's a good thing to consume time.

I agree. I am just saying, if school is going to eat up your time, a lot of your hard work will go right out the window. (It did for me and my friend every time school started up). We had to work out and eat like crazy during the summer and winter breaks to make up for time we lost at the gym from school.

Moe, trust me. You're naturally thin. If you stop going or cut back when school starts, the weight you gain will melt away. So just keep that in mind and do be surprised when it happens. I would also recommend doing shoulder and back exercises because it will make you wider, which is what you want since your tall.

Got any pics Beeza? I am sure your a tank.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I agree. I am just saying, if school is going to eat up your time, a lot of your hard work will go right out the window. (It did for me and my friend every time school started up). We had to work out and eat like crazy during the summer and winter breaks to make up for time we lost at the gym from school.

Moe, trust me. You're naturally thin. If you stop going or cut back when school starts, the weight you gain will melt away. So just keep that in mind and do be surprised when it happens. I would also recommend doing shoulder and back exercises because it will make you wider, which is what you want since your tall.

Got any pics Beeza? I am sure your a tank.

Last time I put up pictures, Moonbear hit on me :redface:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122559&highlight=Beeza&page=3

Awesome. What is your height?

Also, what do you eat to gain weight? Seems like you naturally put weight on easily.

EDIT:

I just saw in that link you said you were 20 at the time. You have good genetics for bodybuilding, you lucky bastard! :tongue2:

Last edited:
5'9ish.

I put on weight too easily. I envy the smaller framed guys like yourself whom can eat as many calories as they wish and still remain thin.

I have to carefully watch calories if I want to stay under 210lbs. Although when I was up near 240lbs I was eating about 10 - 15 lbs combined of chicken and steak per week in addition to pig-outs like entire boxes of cheerios or 3/4 loaves of bread for breakfast...

My body however did not appreciate my eating habits so much ;) Neither did my girlfriend considering our grocery bill!

In the long run, being able to stay thin is much better for your health, so it is a good thing. I am going to start working out again seriously when I finish my undergrad, so probably around december. But I already know that next semester is going to be a disaster of projects, so I am not even going to think about going to the gym and wasting time in there.

But after my last semester, Ill probably start trying to put on some weight. I think I should put on probably 30lbs. That would be a good amount of weight to gain in the next 2,3 years.

But for now, I am going to enjoy riding my bike, (which will keep me really thin), and drinking beer. I think the fastest way to lose weight is to ride a road bike. You burn so many calories because biking is so addictive. Once you get into it, you can find yourself riding almost 20 miles a day for 5 days a week. Try gaining (or keeping weight on) like that! Its hard not to lose weight. But, your heart becomes infinitely more healthy than from weightlifting.

With my body type, I could never be as big as you even if I tried. Id have to take steriods in every part of my body before that would happen :rofl:

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
In the long run, being able to stay thin is much better for your health, so it is a good thing. I am going to start working out again seriously when I finish my undergrad, so probably around december. But I already know that next semester is going to be a disaster of projects, so I am not even going to think about going to the gym and wasting time in there.

But after my last semester, Ill probably start trying to put on some weight. I think I should put on probably 30lbs. That would be a good amount of weight to gain in the next 2,3 years.

But for now, I am going to enjoy riding my bike, (which will keep me really thin), and drinking beer. I think the fastest way to lose weight is to ride a road bike. You burn so many calories because biking is so addictive. Once you get into it, you can find yourself riding almost 20 miles a day for 5 days a week. Try gaining (or keeping weight on) like that! Its hard not to lose weight. But, your heart becomes infinitely more healthy than from weightlifting.

With my body type, I could never be as big as you even if I tried. Id have to take steriods in every part of my body before that would happen :rofl:

all the bold statements are fallacious. w/e your personal choices it's cool but don't pretend that you're making them because they're objectively the right ones.

how is staying at one's optimum weight and exercising your cardiovascular system being healthy a fallacious statement?

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
how is staying at one's optimum weight and excessing your cardiovascular system being healthy a fallacious statement?

excessing your cardiovascular system? biking is good cardio but not the best, i can think of several forms that are better. optimum weight? what is optimum weight? what the bmi scale dictates? muscular fitness is just as important as cardiovascular fitness.

cyrusabdollahi said:

30 lbs of quality weight gain in the next 2 years would be a good goal. The more experienced you become with training, the harder it will be to put on an appreciable amount of quality weight.

ice109 said:
all the bold statements are fallacious. w/e your personal choices it's cool but don't pretend that you're making them because they're objectively the right ones.

Not really. For the most part, what I've said is true.

Beeza said:
30 lbs of quality weight gain in the next 2 years would be a good goal. The more experienced you become with training, the harder it will be to put on an appreciable amount of quality weight.

Yeah, I was working out for about 2 years before I had to stop due to school. So I was putting in serious time. You definitely hit that peak.

If you workout, post a pic Ice.

Last edited:
ice109 said:
excessing your cardiovascular system? biking is good cardio but not the best, i can think of several forms that are better. optimum weight? what is optimum weight? what the bmi scale dictates? muscular fitness is just as important as cardiovascular fitness.

exercising the cardiovascular system I meant. of course it's healthy to exercise the muscles, nobody is saying it's not— but getting huge without working on your cardiovascular system is unhealthy too. and biking IS a better workout for your heart than lifting weights.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Not really. For the most part, what I've said is true.
saying so doesn't make it so
cyrusabdollahi said:
Yeah, I was working out for about 2 years before I had to stop due to school. So I was putting in serious time. You definitely hit that peak.

If you workout, post a pic Ice.
:rolleyes: what does that have to do with the veracity of your statements?
moe darklight said:
exercising the cardiovascular system I meant. of course it's healthy to exercise the muscles, nobody is saying it's not— but getting huge without working on your cardiovascular system is unhealthy too. and biking IS a better workout for your heart than lifting weights.

lets review cyrus' contention

1.In the long run, being able to stay thin is much better for your health, so it is a good thing.

2.I think the fastest way to lose weight is to ride a road bike.

3.But, your heart becomes infinitely more healthy than from weightlifting.

4.With my body type, I could never be as big as you even if I tried. Id have to take steriods in every part of my body before that would happen

and my contention

1. false

2. absolutely false

3. arguable

4. absolutely false

ice109 said:
saying so doesn't make it so

:rolleyes: what does that have to do with the veracity of your statements?

Clearly, you have read a lot of books on weightlifting. I am just curious how well your weighlifting has gone for you. I.e., I want to see if your 'all talk'.

1.- In what way is being thin, as opposed to heavier (i.e. more stress on your heart and body fat), a bad thing?

2.- the point was that you lose weight really fast, its called hyperbole. Not eating would be the fastest way to lose weight (and then die). Gimme a break on this one.

3. Ummm, no. Many bodybuilders end up having heart attacks because of all that mass they have to pump blood to. Yes, cycling is better for your heart. Bodybuilding is not a cardio workout.

4. I think I know my own body better than you do.

Last edited:
Cycleing is a GREAT cardio-workout, with very little joint stress.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Clearly, you have read a lot of books on weightlifting. I am just curious how well your weighlifting has gone for you. I.e., I want to see if your 'all talk'.

i haven't really "talked" about myself anywhere except for in the OP and to say that i suck at racquetball and how i don't get much sleep.
cyrusabdollahi said:
1.- In what way is being thin, as opposed to heavier (i.e. more stress on your heart and body fat), a bad thing?
i've already said it, muscular fitness is an integral part of overall fitness.
cyrusabdollahi said:
2.- the point was that you lose weight really fast, its called hyperbole. Not eating would be the fastest way to lose weight (and then die). Gimme a break on this one.
and my point was that there are many more effective forms of exercise that makes you burn fat
cyrusabdollahi said:
3. Ummm, no. Many bodybuilders end up having heart attacks because of all that mass they have to pump blood to. Yes, cycling is better for your heart. Bodybuilding is not a cardio workout.
bodybuilders have heart attacks because they have extreme diets pre-competition and take steroids. additionally no one was talking about bodybuilding, and i'll quote you again "But, your heart becomes infinitely more healthy than from weightlifting." weightlifting != bodybuilding.
cyrusabdollahi said:
i think i know biology and strength training better than you

hypatia said:
Cycleing is a GREAT cardio-workout, with very little joint stress.
very true

ice109 said:
i've already said it, muscular fitness is an integral part of overall fitness.

Did I say otherwise?

and my point was that there are many more effective forms of exercise that makes you burn fat

Like I said, give me a break on this one. I said it was hyperbole, you should know better than that. :rolleyes:

bodybuilders have heart attacks because they have extreme diets pre-competition and take steroids. additionally no one was talking about bodybuilding, and i'll quote you again "But, your heart becomes infinitely more healthy than from weightlifting." weightlifting != bodybuilding.

I am talking about bodybuilding, which is something more in line with what moe would be into if he wanted to gain mass.

i think i know biology and strength training better than you

I don't think you do if you're going to tell me a thin body type can easily gain as much mass as Beeza.

cyrusabdollahi said:

Not like I'm in any place to moderate... but you guys are just arguing for the hell of it. Cyrus made statements in a loose fashion that are somewhat open for interpretation. ice109 has points based on the the way things were expressed. But c'mon... this was a nice thread. You both had some interesting things to say.

Cyrus. In a a nutshell, what was your routine? I was on a heavy (relative term) squat routine for awhile, and then I hurt myself deadlifting. But, I'm itching to get back to it. Specifically, what did you do for your shoulders. Good peaks on um'

im done, i was arguing because i hate people who pervert language to prove themselves right. cyrus you said one thing, either stick to it or if you meant something else say so. but saying

"With my body type, I could never be as big as you even if I tried. Id have to take steriods in every part of my body before that would happen"

and changing it to

"I don't think you do if you're going to tell me a thin body type can easily gain as much mass as Beeza."

to be right just for the sake of being right is infuriating.

Well, then don't come in here and start busting my balls over trivial crap ice. Jessssusss man.

Excuse me, I was not being 100% precise with my words. I thought we were grown up enough to realize that when I posted.

Besides, I am right :rofl: :tongue2: and you know it!

Last edited:
FrogPad said:
Not like I'm in any place to moderate... but you guys are just arguing for the hell of it. Cyrus made statements in a loose fashion that are somewhat open for interpretation. ice109 has points based on the the way things were expressed. But c'mon... this was a nice thread. You both had some interesting things to say.

Cyrus. In a a nutshell, what was your routine? I was on a heavy (relative term) squat routine for awhile, and then I hurt myself deadlifting. But, I'm itching to get back to it. Specifically, what did you do for your shoulders. Good peaks on um'

My friend and I would do one body part a day. So it was something like:

M: Chest
T: Back
W: Shoulders
T: Arms
F: Legs
S: Abbs and forearms

I don't really do deadlifts or squats. It bothers my lower back and I don't want to do power lifting. I would just stick to inclined leg press. Man, the leg press would burn like hell though.

Ah man shoulders....sigh. I had really strong shoulders and bicpets. But I (stupidly) should have gone lighter on the shoulders because they started to hurt after a while. I would do shoulder press with like 70lb dumbells (3 sets of 8-10), which was good considering my thin frame. I don't think I could do half of that right now. :frown:

The best person to give you advice on shoulders would be Beeza though. Id always ask the biggest guy at the gym for advice, and compare it to what most other big guys would tell me. Its a great way to get advice from their own experience.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Well, then don't come in here and start busting my balls over trivial crap ice. Jessssusss man.

Excuse me, I was not being 100% precise with my words. I thought we were grown up enough to realize that when I posted.

Besides, I am right :rofl: :tongue2: and you know it!

that's why you're an engineering major and I'm a physics major. close enough is unsatisfactory for me :tongue2:

Well, I am in a position to moderate, and I'm telling you, ice109, to knock it off. You're just quoting people and responding with "WRONG!"

If you can actually make a substantive argument against Cyrus, preferably with references, personal experience, or even anecdotes, then cool -- do it.

The truth is that road cycling really is one of the most energy-intensive forms of exercise you can do. I know my cardiovascular system, know my zones, and I can literally burn 800 calories an hour on a road bike over extended periods of time. On an average century ride, I'll burn nearly 5k calories in about seven hours. There are few exercises which burn so many calories and can be done for such long periods of time.

If you know of other exercises which burn more calories per hour and can be done for more hours consecutively, then please inform me.

- Warren

first of all the burden of proof is not on me but that's just philosophical wax ;)

second of all for purposes of losing fat this is the most efficient way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

third of all how did you figure out that you burn 800cal an hour chroot?
http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm we have that chart which contains several activities that burn more calories. also are you pedaling over 20mph for 7 hours? i don't understand what you mean by can be done for more hours consecutively? if you're burning 5k kcal/7 hour that's a power output of 830 watts, why do you think you couldn't produce that much power doing something else?

Nice links, ice! That's how you carry out a debate. Good show.

I use a heart-rate monitor, and have had my VO2 calibrated in a lab a few years ago. I know pretty accurately how my heart rate is correlated to my energy expenditure.

And no, I'm not pedaling over 20 mph. Your own link puts ~800 kcal/hr in the "Bicycling, 14-15.9mph, vigorous effort" category, which is just about right. If I complete a 100-mile bike ride in seven hours, my average is around 14 mph.

You can certainly do other kinds of exercise which consume more calories per hour, but it's very doubtful (to me) that you could actually continue to do them for seven straight hours.

Boxing for seven hours? Handball for seven hours? I don't know about those.

However, I can certainly imagine exercises like rowing being done for extended periods of time, so you're right -- cycling is not the only such exercise. Cycling is definitely more accessible to the average person than rowing, though.

- Warren

I miss my bike :cry:. my friends lost it in high school when we were drunk in a forest (probably my favorite story from high school, but it's really long). now with school and having to buy a new computer I haven't been able to buy a new one :frown: .

I have knee problems, nothing serious, but running still KILLS my knees, so running's not a possibility for me.

a good one I love is kayaking, it can be pretty intense and draining, and works pretty much all of your upper body and abs nicely, AND you always keep cool from the water splashing so you don't feel all sweaty. but it's not very accessible so I've only done it 3 times.

Cycling is just one example of a low-impact aerobic activity. Rowing, eliptical machine, etc. - same diff, really.

Ice, the other wik link on interval training is more descriptive and says:
It is believed by many in the fitness industry that this method of training is more effective at inducing fat loss than simply training at a moderate intensity level for the same duration. This has been confirmed in at least two studies.[1] [2] It has been said that in some instances—like long-distance running—moderate-intensity exercise for long durations may actually preferentially burn muscle tissue as opposed to adipose. At present, however, there is no conclusive research to support any of these claims.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training

That fits with other things I've read about interval training, namely that if you are out of shape and can't sustain a high exertion level for very long, interval training will get you into shape faster than a low exertion for the same (or even somewhat longer) time. But if you are in decent shape and want to get in better shape (ie, a 15 mile per week runner and want to train for a marathon), there is no substitute for extremely long duration cardio.

interval training is much harder than SST(steady state training). it is essentially weight lifting without the weights. the sprinting is the same anaerobic exercise that you're doing when you're lifting weights. the same microtears happen and the whole 9 yards. the reason why it boosts metabolism for the rest of the day is because you're burning calories repairing muscle. anecdotal evidence is how muscular sprinters are. additionally many a time have i heard that prolonged SST burns muscle which is why marathoners are so skinny.

chroot said:
If you know of other exercises which burn more calories per hour and can be done for more hours consecutively, then please inform me.

- Warren

There are lots of them that can burn calories faster than road biking, but to do it for hours is a whole other story. Road biking isn't anywhere near the most effective though.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I think I know my own body better than you do.

Knowing your body is the most important thing. I would estimate one in ten know their body at the gym.

JasonRox said:
Knowing your body is the most important thing. I would estimate one in ten know their body at the gym.

that number increases exponentially as they reach puberty :rofl:

ok cheap joke. but I had to.