Calculating Work for Spilling Milk from a Parametric Dish

• Thread starter shft600
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work required to spill all the milk from a dish with a given equation and height. The formula for work is given, but there is confusion about how to calculate the volume of the dish and convert the given equation into a radius function. The final solution involves two integrals, one for moving the varying amount of milk up to the 5cm point and one for lifting it out of the dish. There is also discussion about defining the force and calculating the work using the formula (g.acc)*(dens)*A(y)*(distance to lift from y)*dy.
shft600

Homework Statement

A dish, described by the equation x2+z2=ey for 0 < y < 10cm (or equal too) is filled 5cm high with milk. How much work does it take to spill all the milk on the floor? Take milk density to be 1030 Kg/m3 and gravitational acceleration to be 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

I know that the work formula is
W= int(0 to h): F(y)dy+(T-h)(F(h)), and F(y0)=(dens)(g.acc)(Volume above y0), but I am stuck at the volume part of the equation.
It should be V(y)=int(0 to y): A(y), where the area is Pi(r)2. This is where I get stuck. How do I convert the x2+z2=ey into a radius function? So far, nobody's been able to explain parametrics to me very clearly even with just x and y, but now there's a z variable and I'm just clueless.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got y=ln(x2+z2) and x=sqrt(ey+z2) so far..

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't x^2+z^2=e^y a circle in the x-z plane with radius e^y?

so then is it just the integral of pi(ey)2?

In which case V(y)= Pi((1/2)(e2y)) from 0-5, and a constant Pi((1/2)(e2(5))) from 5-10cm?

Yes, the volume is integral of A(y)=pi*(e^y)^2. I'm having a some trouble following the rest the work calculation. T is 10cm, right? So isn't the formula just integral 0 to 5 (g.acc)*(density)*(T-y)*A(y)dy?

Hm.. I'm not entirely sure, I just posted the formula straight off my formula sheet. The first part is the work of moving the varying amount of fluid, and the second just moving it out through the open space in the dish. The force is constant for the (T-h) (10-5cm), but we need to take a second integral for the force of moving the volume as it changes during the emptying. Thats what I understand from my notes, at least. If it helps I just finished the question and got this, basically:

W = (integral(0-.05): 10094pi/2(e2y)) + (.1-.05)(10094pi/2)(e2(.05))

Where the bold is the force to move the milk up until its surface in the dish and the regular face is just the force to move the then-constant volume from the 5cm up to the 10cm. I could be wrong though...

Ah, I see. The first part moves all the milk up to the 5cm point and the other part lifts it out. Ok. But your formulas still look pretty garbled. Partially because you haven't defined what F(y) is supposed to be or anything. I am thoroughly confused. Work is the integral of (g.acc)*(dens)*A(y)*(distance to lift from y)*dy. Try and formulate it from that. Your notes may be a little garbled.

1. What are work equations and how are they used in science?

Work equations, also known as parametric equations, are mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between two variables. In science, they are often used to model the behavior of a system or to solve complex problems that involve multiple variables. They can also be used to graph a curve or a surface in a coordinate system.

2. How do you write parametric equations?

Parametric equations are typically written in the form of x = f(t) and y = g(t), where t is the independent variable and x and y are the dependent variables. The functions f(t) and g(t) represent the relationship between t and x, and t and y, respectively. These equations can also include additional variables for more complex relationships.

3. What is the difference between a parametric equation and a Cartesian equation?

A parametric equation describes the relationship between variables using a third variable, while a Cartesian equation describes the relationship directly between the two variables. In other words, a parametric equation introduces an independent variable to represent the relationship between the dependent variables, while a Cartesian equation does not.

4. How are parametric equations graphed?

To graph a parametric equation, you can plot points on a coordinate plane by substituting different values for the independent variable, t, and calculating the corresponding values for x and y. These points can then be connected to create a curve or surface that represents the relationship between the variables.

5. What are some real-life applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations have many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects, such as projectiles, or to design complex shapes and structures. They are also used in computer programming to create animations and simulations.