Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work physics? please help me tho

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    i really dont understand the work idea.. im studyin for a test and i missed the class where we learned about work and now im here mindfuct.

i kno these 3 formulas:
    f=kd
    f=k(m1m2/d^2)
    f=k(q1q2/d^2)

i dont understand wen to use these tho.. please hlep me grasp this concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    This isn't really a calculus question.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    well its in my calculus book and im confused as hell right now.

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4
    Your question is far too broad. That's like asking to write a report on WWII. Narrow your question to something that wouldn't require 10,000 words for a person to guess what it is you don't understand about a huge topic. And make sure your question has to do with calculus or analysis.

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5
    ok. ill ask the specific question im confused about:
    A space module weighs 15 metric tons on the surface of earth. How much work is done in propelling the module to a height of 800 miles above earth?

The picture shows earth wit a radius of 4000 miles and then theirs the extra 800 miles between the earth and space module

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6
    Work is the integral of force times an infinitesimal piece of length, or integral of force as a function of distance, integrating with respect to distance. The second formula above gives the force in terms of mass and distance. The third gives the force in terms of charge, which is not related to this problem. Good to go?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?