1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Power and Energy Help

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    Ok so I'm in Gr 11 U Physics and we have an assignment and I have a couple q's

1) While at the park a child sits on top of a 3.5m slide. When he reaches the bottom of the slide, he is travelling at 3.0m/s. Calaculate the efficency of the slide

2) A 5000 W motor is lifting crates from the bottom of a mine shaft to the ground above at a constant rate of 5m/s. What is the maximum weight of a crate to be lifted up the shaft?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF Kaity,

The policies of this forum prevent us from helping you, unless you show some working or initial thoughts...

~H

4. Apr 24, 2006 #3
    ok well for the first one...we did something similar in class, but when I tried it, it was definetly wrong. we were told to not include mass when it is not given so for this it would be:
    Eg = mg x h Ek= 1/2mv2
    = m(9.8)(3.5) =(0.5)m(3.0)2
    =34.3mJ =4.5mJ

%e =Eg /Ek x 100%
    = 34.3mJ/ 4.5m/J x100%
    = 762.2%This answer is evidently wrong

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4
    for the second one I have no idea where to even begin
    P=5000W or J/s
    v= 5.0m/s

So I originally tried figuring out force which you can get by doing
    F = P/ V
    = 5000W/5.0m/s
    = 1000N
    and I believe you can find the mass of that by dividing the
    1000N/9.8 = 102.04kg
    is that it or is there more to it?

6. Apr 25, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, you need to find the energy lost;

[tex]E_{lost} = E_{inital} - E_{final[/tex]

Then you need to find the efficency;

[tex] = 1- \frac{E_{lost}}{E_{initial}}[/tex]

Can you go from here?

~H

7. Apr 25, 2006 #6
    First off, I solved the 5000W motor problem using different equations and arrived at the same answer, so I would say that your calculation of the mass is correct. What I did was realize that since power is work over time, and the work will be the increase in potential energy in this case I could replace work with mgh (where m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity and h is the change in height) and then solve for m. That method yielded your answer.

For the slide question, you stated that %e=Eg/Ek*100. In my class we said that %e=(energy out)/(energy in) * 100. I think that will give you a much more reasonable result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?