Work power and energy question

In summary: So for c) I just sub in the values and solve for h?In summary, a student does 2750 J of work to propel themselves on a scooter across level ground, with a combined mass of 68.0 kg. Assuming no friction, the student is travelling at a speed of approximately 9.00 m/s and has a kinetic energy of 2750 J. If the student then coasts up a hill, they will rise to a height where their kinetic energy is converted to gravitational potential energy, using the equation E = mgh.
mike_302

Homework Statement

A Student, starting from rest, does 2750 J of work to propel himself on a scooter across level ground. The combined mass of the scooter and the student is 68.0 kg. Assuming no friction, find...

a) How fast is he travelling?
b) What is his kinetic energy?
c) If he then coasts up a hill, to what height does he rise before stopping?

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not even sure where to start on this given only 3 completely different variables. We can figure out c) if we are given some sort of start on a) and possibly b).

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
All the work he is doing should be converted into the kinetic energy. So you can find v from the equation

Also, remember the work-kinetic energy theorem. Work is change in kinetic energy. For C, you can use conservation of energy with Kinetic all being transferred to gravitational potential. But, first you need to do a and b.

Just note (we're trying to do this equation as you reply) that the "relevant equation" I gave is likely not hte only one that we haev to use. Others such as Eg=mgh, Mt=Mtprime, and so on, are likely to be involved.

mike_302 said:
Just note (we're trying to do this equation as you reply) that the "relevant equation" I gave is likely not hte only one that we haev to use. Others such as Eg=mgh, Mt=Mtprime, and so on, are likely to be involved.
Heh ... thanks. I think the mentors on this site probably know what equations are relevant. :wink:

Just think about the energy relations in this problem. The work that the student does is initially (i.e. before he reaches the hill) entirely converted to KE, so you can just equate the two. After he's rolled up the hill to a stop, all the KE (which is equal to the work he did at the start) is now converted to gravitational PE.

You have the equations giving these quantities in terms of things you know. Can you identify the relevant equations now?

lasershadow said:
Also, remember the work-kinetic energy theorem. Work is change in kinetic energy. For C, you can use conservation of energy with Kinetic all being transferred to gravitational potential. But, first you need to do a and b.
Just to be clear: you don't have to do (a) and (b) first, since you know the amount of energy that is being converted to gravitational PE. You might as well answer them in order, though.

belliott4488 said:
Just think about the energy relations in this problem. The work that the student does is initially (i.e. before he reaches the hill) entirely converted to KE, so you can just equate the two. After he's rolled up the hill to a stop, all the KE (which is equal to the work he did at the start) is now converted to gravitational PE.

Soooo, 2750J=Ek ... Ek = 1/2mv^2 ... Am I on a roll here?

ORRR, wait a tick, another equation I have is W=delta E so... E=Ek

W=Ekmax - Ekmin(zero)
W=Ekmax
W=1/2mv^2Sub it all in and we get approx. 9.00m/s for v ... Does that sound correcT?

Right

That's right.
Now, parts b and c follow logically. All of the student's kinetic energy becomes gravitational potential.

Correct, now for part c you need gravitational potential energy E = m g h

So, just to confirm then (because it sounds far too easy) Ek (the asnwer for b)) will be 2750 J ?

sadly, yes

OK! Thanks you guys. c) Isn't to hard just because we had done something similar already.

What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the exertion of a force over a distance. In scientific terms, work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by an object and the distance it moves in the direction of that force.

What is the difference between power and energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done. It is measured in watts (W). Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work and is measured in joules (J). In simpler terms, power is how fast work is done, while energy is the total amount of work done.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance moved in the direction of the force. This formula applies to situations where the force and the direction of movement are in the same direction.

What is the unit of measurement for energy?

The unit of measurement for energy is joules (J). However, in some cases, other units such as calories or electron volts may be used.

How is power calculated?

Power is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do that work. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Power is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp).