1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work, Power and Energy

Tags:
  1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Complete the weekly energy cost and power rating of a TV and clothes dryer by completing the table that follows."

The table is presented in the thumbnail

2. Relevant equations
    work = force / distance
    power = work / time

Y = E * c
    -Y is the yearly running cost
    -E in the EnerGuide energy rating per year
    -c is the cost of electricity per kW/h

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ive done the first 4 columns of the chart and I know how to solve the last one (By using the p = w * t equation) Problem is....I have no idea how to calculate the "estimate of hours of use per week." Ive been multiplying and dividing the number of hours per week by about anything I can think of but Im not coming up with the correct answer. If anyone can point me in a direction as to what I need to be calculating the help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S This table was the answer given to us for the example question. The last 2 columns are unfinished on my personal table

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2
    Try getting the estimate of hours per week by using the
    E per week and the power calculated in the last row

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    I cant do that because I dont know the power yet. Like I stated The last 2 columns on my chart are empty and i cant calculate power without the time first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted