Solve Flight Attendant's Work Problem: A, B & C

In summary: C- Thank you for your help! I was able to solve for μk and found that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the flight bag and the floor is 0.4.
feddyfuntime
[Mentor note: Misplaced homework thread moved from technical forum, hence no template shown]

A flight attendant pulls her 70N flight bag a distance of 253 meters along a level airport floor at a constant velocity. The force she exerts is 40 Newtons at an angle of 52 degrees above the horizontal, find the following:
a. the work she does on the flight bag
b. the work done by the force of friction on the flight bag
c. the coefficient of kinetic friction between the flight bag and the floor.

I think I understand A, which is 6230.5J? But B and C I do not even know where to start, please help? Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
How might you figure out the friction force? Hint: constant velocity.

Likes feddyfuntime
feddyfuntime said:
A flight attendant pulls her 70N flight bag a distance of 253 meters along a level airport floor at a constant velocity. The force she exerts is 40 Newtons at an angle of 52 degrees above the horizontal, find the following:
a. the work she does on the flight bag
b. the work done by the force of friction on the flight bag
c. the coefficient of kinetic friction between the flight bag and the floor.

I think I understand A, which is 6230.5J? But B and C I do not even know where to start, please help? Thanks in advanced.
Your answer to a. is correct. Since the bag is not accelerating during its passage over the floor, what can you say about the sum of the forces on the bag during that journey? So how is the horizontal component of the pulling force related to the floor's friction force on the bag during that time? From that you should be able to determine the work done by the friction force on the bag over those 253 metres.

For c. you have to state the relationship between kinetic friction force and the normal force and solve for μk. What is the normal force? What is the friction force?

AM

1. What are the main work problems faced by flight attendants?

The main work problems faced by flight attendants include long and irregular working hours, dealing with difficult passengers, and managing a high level of physical and mental demands during flights.

2. How can flight attendants solve the issue of long and irregular working hours?

One solution for flight attendants to address long and irregular working hours is to negotiate for a more balanced schedule with their employer. They can also try to limit the number of consecutive flights and take breaks in between to rest and recharge.

3. How can flight attendants handle difficult passengers?

Flight attendants can handle difficult passengers by remaining calm and professional, actively listening to their concerns, and addressing their needs to the best of their abilities. They can also seek assistance from other crew members if the situation becomes too challenging.

4. What strategies can flight attendants use to manage the physical and mental demands of their job?

To manage the physical and mental demands of their job, flight attendants can practice self-care techniques such as getting enough rest, eating well, and staying hydrated. They can also engage in stress-reducing activities like meditation or exercise during their breaks.

5. How can airlines support flight attendants in dealing with work-related issues?

Airlines can support flight attendants by providing them with adequate training and resources to handle difficult situations, implementing fair scheduling policies, and having a support system in place for flight attendants to seek help when needed. They can also prioritize the well-being and mental health of their employees by offering resources such as counseling services.