Calculating Work Done by Car Engine

In summary: This is why, as you say, it allows the car to move.In summary, a car with a mass of 900 kg travels 12 km at a constant speed of 80 km/h on a level road. The friction force acting on the car is 500N. To calculate the work done by the engine, we use the equation W= F x displacement. However, the force due to gravity, (900 kg)(9.81 m/s2), does not contribute to the work done since it acts perpendicular to the car's displacement. The work done by the engine is equal to the friction force (500N) multiplied by the displacement (12000m), resulting in 6 x10^6 Joules of work
Nanu Nana

Homework Statement

A car (mass 900 kg) runs 12 km along a level road at a constant speed of 80 km / h. The friction force is 500N. Calculate the work done by the engine

Homework Equations

W= F x displacement[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

W= (900x 9.81) N x 12000m
W=10594800 J
But this is wrong .answer should be 6 x10^6 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Nanu Nana said:

Homework Statement

A car (mass 900 kg) runs 12 km along a level road at a constant speed of 80 km / h. The friction force is 500N. Calculate the work done by the engine

Homework Equations

W= F x displacement[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

W= (900x 9.81) N x 12000m
W=10594800 J
But this is wrong .answer should be 6 x10^6 J
(900 kg)(9.81 m/s2) is the forge due to gravity. It acts in a direction perpendicular to the displacement of the car, so that force does zero work.

What force must the engine overcome to maintain the car's sped?

oh friction force
so
Work = Friction force x (12000m)
W= 500 N x 12000m
W=6 x10^6 Joule

Nanu Nana said:
oh friction force
so
Work = Friction force x (12000m)
W= 500 N x 12000m
W=6 x10^6 Joule
Correct !

Likes Nanu Nana
SammyS said:
Correct !
Thank you very much . Where on forum should i ask if i want explanation about vectors components?

Nanu Nana said:
Thank you very much . Where on forum should i ask if i want explanation about vectors components?

Nanu Nana said:

First, look in your textbook. If you cannot find a satisfactory answer there, go next to the internet; Google "vectors" or "vector components" or "vectors in physics", or similar entries. If you still have not found a satisfactory answer, THEN come to this Forum and ask a specific question (not a general question like 'can someone tell me about vector components?')

Nanu Nana said:
If it's a from a homework problem or closely related to one, then this is the correct forum.

If it's more general, then either this forum or the General Physics section of the Physics section.

Likes Nanu Nana
Nanu Nana said:
Calling the resistance to a car's normal motion simply 'friction' is one of my pet hates. It's so confusing for students. What the question means is some combination internal friction (bearings etc.), rolling resistance and drag. The friction between the tyres and the road is precisely what allows the car to get anywhere. In the context of the problem, it would be acting in the forward direction.

Likes CWatters and Nanu Nana
I agree, calling it friction is misleading but just for completeness... If we ignore internal/bearing friction then the forward pointing friction between tyre and road is equal to the rearward forces such as rolling resistance and drag.

What is work done by a car engine?

Work done by a car engine refers to the amount of energy expended by the engine to produce motion or force. This can be measured in units of joules (J) or newton-meters (Nm).

How do you calculate work done by a car engine?

The formula for calculating work done by a car engine is W = F x d, where W is work (in J or Nm), F is the force applied (in newtons), and d is the distance over which the force is applied (in meters). It can also be calculated by multiplying the engine's torque (in Nm) by the number of revolutions per minute (rpm) and dividing by 60.

What factors affect the work done by a car engine?

The work done by a car engine can be affected by various factors such as the engine's power, efficiency, and operating conditions (e.g. speed, load, temperature). The type of fuel and maintenance of the engine can also impact the work done.

Why is it important to calculate work done by a car engine?

Calculating work done by a car engine can help determine its performance and efficiency. This information can be used to make improvements and optimize the engine's operation, leading to better fuel economy, reduced emissions, and increased power output.

How can work done by a car engine be measured?

Work done by a car engine can be measured using specialized equipment such as dynamometers or by using mathematical calculations based on engine specifications and operating conditions. It can also be estimated by measuring the engine's fuel consumption and converting it into energy units.