1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work question

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. At a local playground, a child on a swing has a speed of 3.4 m/s when the swing is at its lowest point.

a.) To what maximum vertical height (above the bottom of the swing) does the child rise, assuming he sits still and "coasts"?
    m

b.) Reanswer part a, with the initial speed of the child being half as much.
    m

c.) During this process, how much work is done by the tension in the rope?
    J

I got part A and B using [tex]\Delta K = - \Delta U[/tex]

But for part C, [tex]W = \Delta K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex] and [tex]W = Fd[/tex] or [tex]W=mad[/tex]
    But the mass of the child is not given? How can I compute the work? Unless this is a trick question and the rope is doing no work. But the rope is what is responsible for the child rising, otherwise the child would continue on a straight path parallel to the ground. So the rope is doing work, right? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you have used conservation of mechanical energy in parts a) and b), you already implicitly used the fact that the rope doesn't do work.
    Consider the direction in which the force from the rope acts.

4. Jul 26, 2005 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that a real Einstein quote in your signature? That's funny :smile:

I guess you're right. The rope pulls towards the center of the circle but the child never gets closer to the center. D = 0, so regardless of mass, W must be 0.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?