Calculating Height from Work and Rotational Motion of a Rigid Body

In summary, a 392-N wheel comes off a moving truck and rolls without slipping along a highway. At the bottom of a hill it is rotating at 25.0 rad/s. The radius of the wheel is 0.600 m and its moment of inertia about its rotation axis is 0.800MR^2. Friction does work on the wheel as it rolls up the hill to a stop, a height h above the bottom of the hill; this work has absolute value 3500 J. The equation for work is corrected to include both rotational and translational kinetic energy, and the direction of friction is taken into account. By plugging in numbers, the final height of the wheel is calculated to be 11.
GoldShadow

Homework Statement

A 392-N wheel comes off a moving truck and rolls without slipping along a highway. At the bottom of a hill it is rotating at 25.0 rad/s. The radius of the wheel is 0.600 m and its moment of inertia about its rotation axis is 0.800MR^2. Friction does work on the wheel as it rolls up the hill to a stop, a height h above the bottom of the hill; this work has absolute value 3500 J. Calculate h.

Mass "M" = w/g = 392/9.8, or 40 kg.

Homework Equations

[tex]I=cMR^{2}[/tex]

[tex]W_{total}=\Delta K - W_{friction}= \frac{1}{2}I \omega^{2}_{final}-\frac{1}{2}I \omega^{2}_{initial}-W_{friction}[/tex]

[tex]W_{total}=-\Delta U=Mgh_{initial}-Mgh_{final}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the two equations for Work equal to get:

[tex]Mgh_{initial}-Mgh_{final}=\frac{1}{2}I \omega^{2}_{final}-\frac{1}{2}I \omega^{2}_{initial}-W_{friction}[/tex]

Since initial height is 0 and final angular velocity is 0, this simplifies to:

[tex]-Mgh_{final}=-\frac{1}{2}I \omega^{2}_{initial}-W_{friction}[/tex]

Multiplying this equation by -1 to make the negatives a little more friendly and writing out "I" (moment of inertia) yields:[tex]Mgh_{final}=\frac{1}{2}cMR^{2} \omega^{2}_{initial}+W_{friction}[/tex]

Isolating to solve for "h":

[tex]\frac{(\frac{1}{2}cMR^{2} \omega^{2}_{initial}+W_{friction})}{Mg}=h_{final}[/tex]

Plugging in numbers:

[tex]\frac{(\frac{1}{2}(0.800)(40)(0.600)^{2} (25.0)^{2}+3500)}{(40)(9.80)}=h_{final}[/tex]

For h I get 18.1 m, but the answer according to the book is 11.7 m.

I tried several approaches and couldn't get the right answer, so I would appreciate help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation where energy is not conserved, which is good, but it's missing two major things. You take the rotational kinetic energy of the wheel into account, but you leave out the wheel's translational kinetic energy. Additionally, you're assuming that the friction does negative work on the wheel. Think about which way the friction points along the hill.

Ah, okay, I get it now. Since there is both rotational and translational motion, [tex]\Delta K[/tex] should include both types of kinetic energy. And work due to friction is positive because it acts in such a direction that makes angular velocity positive? So my new equation would be:

[tex]-Mgh_{final}=-\frac{1}{2}I \omega^{2}_{initial}-\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{initial}+W_{friction}[/tex].

And knowing that [tex]v=\omega R[/tex], plug in numbers to get h=11.7 m.

Thank you very much hotcommodity, this problem was really frustrating me.

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size, regardless of external forces acting on it.

2. How is work defined for a rigid body?

Work is defined as the product of the applied force and the displacement of the rigid body in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

3. What factors affect the rotational motion of a rigid body?

The rotational motion of a rigid body is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The applied force and the point at which it is applied also play a role in rotational motion.

4. Can a rigid body have both translational and rotational motion?

Yes, a rigid body can have both translational and rotational motion simultaneously. This is known as general motion.

5. How is the work-kinetic energy theorem applied to a rotating rigid body?

The work-kinetic energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. For a rotating rigid body, this means that the work done by the applied torque is equal to the change in rotational kinetic energy.