Understanding Work in Rotational Motion

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, work-rotational motion involves the motion of an object around a fixed axis and includes both linear and rotational motion. The equation for work-rotational motion is W = τθ, where W is the work done, τ is the torque applied, and θ is the angular displacement. This differs from work-linear motion, where the force applied acts through the center of mass of the object, resulting in only linear motion. Torque is the measure of the rotational force applied, and in work-rotational motion, the work done is directly proportional to the torque applied. Work-rotational motion also relates to energy, as work done in this type of motion results in the transfer of energy to the object, which can be
UrbanXrisis
work--rotational motion

This question is related to rotational motion...

The work done by an object in rotational motion is [tex]\int^{\theta_f}_{\theta_i}\tau d \theta[/tex]

Does this mean [tex]W=\tau(\theta_f - \theta_i)[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Compare to [tex] W = \int_{x_i}^{x_f}{F}{dx} = F(x_f-x_i)[/tex]

yeah, that's what I was thinking, thanks for the verification

What is work-rotational motion?

Work-rotational motion refers to the motion of an object around a fixed axis, where the force applied does not act through the center of mass of the object. It involves both linear motion and rotational motion.

What is the equation for work-rotational motion?

The equation for work-rotational motion is W = τθ, where W is the work done, τ is the torque applied, and θ is the angular displacement.

How does work-rotational motion differ from work-linear motion?

In work-linear motion, the force applied acts through the center of mass of the object, resulting in only linear motion. In work-rotational motion, the force applied does not act through the center of mass, causing both linear and rotational motion.

What is the relationship between torque and work-rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In work-rotational motion, the work done is directly proportional to the torque applied. As torque increases, so does the work done.

How is work-rotational motion related to energy?

Work done in rotational motion results in the transfer of energy to the object. This energy can be either kinetic or potential and is dependent on the type of work done (such as lifting a weight versus spinning a disc).