1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work: Spherical Problem

1. May 12, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Work: Spherical Problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tank is full of water. Find the work W required to pump the water out of the spout. (Use 9.8 for g and 3.14 for [​IMG]. Round your answer to three significant digits.) W=_________

r=3
    h=1
    [​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    To set up this problem, I started by taking the area of one slice of water to be pi r[tex]^{2}[/tex] multiplied by an infitesimally small height [tex]\Delta y[/tex] to get volume. Then multiply this by the density of water; 1000 kg/m[tex]^{3}[/tex] to get the volume of one slice.

Now I want R as a function of, lets say y. We know the area of a circle is r[tex]^{2}[/tex]2+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=3[tex]^{2}[/tex]. So r=sqrt(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex]). Also, the distance for any slice from the top is 7-y.

After this I tried integrating from zero to six of the function 1000*pi*(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])*(7-y)*y. This came out to be negative....in fact -36000*pi..

Apparently, that is wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your expression for R as a function of y is wrong.

4. May 12, 2008 #3
    The above equation was really meant to be r[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=3[tex]^{2}[/tex]. I just noticed the typo. Or, are you saying that's wrong?

5. May 12, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Be careful about what y represents. [itex]r= \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex] is correct if is the height above the center of the sphere. But in that case, integrating from 0 to 6 is wrong. Integrating from the bottom of the tank to the top takes y from -3 to 3.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. May 12, 2008 #5
    I integrated and got 2469600*pi as my answer. My homework checker told me I was wrong. I even rounded to the proper amount of sig figs(3).

Heres what I have:
    dA=(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])pi
    (Multiplied by infitesimally thickness dy)
    dV=(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])pi dy
    (Since d=mv, I multiplied density of water (1000kg/m[tex]^{3}[/tex])
    dM=1000(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])pi dy
    (multiplied by gravity 9.8 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex])
    dF=9800(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])pi dy
    (Now multiplied by distance (7-y))
    dW=9800(9-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])(7-y) dy

Now I integrated dW with the limits from -3 to 3 and got the above result. I'm lost. :confused: Thanks for the help Ivy.

7. May 12, 2008 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The distance to the top would be 7 - y if you chose y from the bottom. It appears that you have chosen y as the distance from the center.

8. May 12, 2008 #7
    Great! 4-y worked.

I can finally put this problem to rest. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?