1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work/Spring problem

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    The exact problem is:
    A massless spring is between a 1-kilogram mass and a 3-kilogram mass, but it is not attached to either mass. Both masses are on a horizontal frictionless table. In an experiment, the 1-kilogram mass is held in place, and the spring is compressed by pushing on the 3-kilogram mass. The 3-kilogram mass is then released and moves off with a speed of 10 meters per second.

(a) Determine the minimum work needed to compress the spring in this experiment.

I am totally lost on this problem. I mean, I understand what it is asking for, but I don't know which equation to use and what variables to solve for. I know the equation for work is W= 1/2kx^2 but how do I solve for either variable?
    I was looking through my notes and saw several formulas that I could use, but each one is missing the same varible, either force or the distance.

Can someone please point me in the right direction...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Consider conservation of Mechanical energy, when the spring is compressed with mass of 3 kg, then there's only spring potential energy, when the mass is released with a speed of 10m/s then there's only kinetic energy. Use both initial and final case, to find the Work that should be done on the spring or the change in spring potential energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?