Empty Tank: Work Calculation w/ Origin at Apex of Cone

In summary, the water needs to be drained from the tank to the top in order to lift it to the surface.
songoku
Homework Statement
A tank has the shape of an inverted circular cone with height 10 m and base radius 4 m. It is filled with water to a height of 8 m. Find the work required to empty the tank by pumping all of the water to the top of the tank. (The density of water is 1000 kg/m^3)
Relevant Equations
W = ##\int F dx##
I take the origin to be at the apex of the cone. Using the similarity of the triangle, where ##r## is radius of water and ##y## is height of water from the apex of cone:

$$\frac{r}{y}=\frac{4}{10}$$
$$r=\frac{2}{5}y$$

The mass of water = ##\rho .V## = ##\rho . \pi r^2~\Delta y## = ##\rho . \pi \frac{4}{25}y^2~\Delta y##

The weight of water = ##\rho . \pi \frac{4}{25}y^2~\Delta y. g##

The distance needed to move the water to the top of the tank = 10 - y

The work needed:
$$W=\int_{2}^{10} \rho . \pi \frac{4}{25}y^2. g (10-y) ~dy$$

But I got wrong answer and the teacher said my origin was wrong. I still don't understand why I can't take origin to be at the apex.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the issue is that you have not considered the surface of the water to be 8 m above the floor or bottom of the tank and 2 m below the apex?

I find this statement a little confusing: “empty the tank by pumping all of the water to the top of the tank.”

Likes songoku
songoku said:
The distance needed to move the water to the top of the tank = 10 - y

That is what seems strange to me, not the choice of origin.... :wink:

##\ ##

Likes songoku
If the apex is at the bottom, then the fluid occupies the region [itex]0 \leq y \leq 8[/itex], not the region [itex]2 \leq y \leq 10[/itex]. If the apex is at the top, then the distance required to lift the fluid to the top of the tank is [itex]y[/itex], not [itex]10 - y[/itex].

Likes songoku
So what's an inverted cone in the mind of the exercise composer ....
Since only the 4 m base radius is given , we may conclude that the top radius is 0 m and that some mind reading is required for this exercise :smile:

##\ ##

Likes Lnewqban and songoku
BvU said:
So what's an inverted cone in the mind of the exercise composer ....
Since only the 4 m base radius is given , we may conclude that the top radius is 0 m and that some mind reading is required for this exercise :smile:

##\ ##
Here is my interpretation, but I see your point. :wink:

1677094297603.png

$$W_p = \int \Delta P ~dV\llap{-}$$

The change in pressure across the pump:

$$ \Delta P = \rho g ( 10 - y )$$

The differential volume:

$$ dV\llap{-} = \pi r^2 dy = \pi \left( \frac{2}{5} \right)^2 y^2 dy $$

$$ W_p = \pi \rho g \left( \frac{2}{5} \right)^2 \int_{8}^{0} (10-y) y^2 dy $$

So as others have pointed out it stems from your limits of integration.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and songoku
Ah, the limit of integration should be the region the fluid occupies. I thought it should be the distance moved by the fluids.

Thank you for the help and explanation Lnewqban, BvU, pasmith, erobz

Likes Lnewqban and erobz
Another way to see it is the work or energy needed to move the whole mass of fluid between the height of its center of mass (full tank) and the height of the top of the tank.

Likes mathwonk, erobz and songoku
Lnewqban said:
Another way to see it is the work or energy needed to move the whole mass of fluid between the height of its center of mass (full tank) and the height of the top of the tank.
and if all is well, that should yield the same integral ...

##\ ##

Likes Lnewqban
"Another way to see it is the work or energy needed to move the whole mass of fluid between the height of its center of mass (full tank) and the height of the top of the tank."

One reason I criticize recent "Thomas" calculus books, is to note that this simple and powerful principle is given in early editions of Thomas Calculus, (those written by Thomas himself), but not in later ones.

Likes Lnewqban
@songoku, I'm hoping that you drew a sketch of the tank with the water level shown, similar to the one that @erobz provided. A cross-section of the tank would be sufficient. If you did draw such a sketch, you might have realized that the typical volume elements extend only between y = 0 and y = 8. Each layer has to be lifted from its position in the tank to a point 10 units above the bottom the tank.

In my experience teaching calculus for many years, I've found that very many students resist drawing a picture, thinking (mistakenly) that it will take too much time. It's better to take 3 minutes longer to get the right answer, than to skip this step and get the wrong answer.

Likes BvU, songoku, Lnewqban and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of calculating work in an empty tank with the origin at the apex of a cone?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the amount of work required to move an object (such as a pump or a fluid) from the apex of a cone to a specific point within an empty tank. This can be useful in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing fluid storage systems or analyzing the efficiency of pumps.

2. How is the work calculated in this scenario?

The work is calculated by multiplying the force required to move the object by the distance it is moved. In this case, the force is equal to the weight of the object and the distance is equal to the vertical height between the apex of the cone and the desired point within the tank.

3. What factors can affect the work calculation in an empty tank with the origin at the apex of a cone?

Some factors that can affect the work calculation include the weight of the object being moved, the distance it is moved, and the angle of the cone. Additionally, the presence of any other objects or obstacles in the tank may also impact the amount of work required.

4. Are there any assumptions made in this work calculation?

Yes, there are some assumptions that are made in this calculation. One major assumption is that the tank is completely empty and there is no fluid or other material present that may impact the movement of the object. Additionally, the calculation assumes that the force required to move the object is constant throughout the entire distance.

5. How can this work calculation be applied in real-world situations?

This work calculation can be applied in various engineering and scientific fields, such as designing and optimizing fluid storage systems, analyzing the efficiency of pumps, and determining the amount of work required for objects to move within a conical tank. It can also be used in practical applications, such as calculating the work required to lift objects out of a cone-shaped well or silo.