1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work to move a charge

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A +35[tex]\mu[/tex]C charge is placed 32 cm from an identicle +35[tex]\mu[/tex]C charge. How much work would be required to move a +.5[tex]\mu[/tex]C test charge midway between them to a point 12cm closer to either of the charges?

2. Relevant equations
    Wext = -qV
    V = kQ/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q= +35[tex]\mu[/tex]C, q = +.5[tex]\mu[/tex]C
    I found the initial V, Vi = 2KQ/.16 and then the final V, Vf = KQ[1/.28 +1/.04]
    Then I did W = -q(Vf-Vi) and got -2.5J
    However, the answer is +2.5 J. This makes sense that the answer is positive- you're moving a + charge from an area of lower to higher potential. Why doesn't this agree with my formula though?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Because you are finding the work done by you to move the charge, which is qΔV, not the work done by the field, which is -qΔV.

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    Oh, so Wext = qΔV. So for energy considerations, is it W(by E) + PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf + Wext?

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

Doc Al

In this particular case, in which you are moving the charge with the least amount of energy (no excess kinetic energy).
    In general, I would say: PEi + KEi + Wext = PEf + KEf

6. Jan 27, 2009 #5
    Ok. If another problem asks about W from E, would Wext just be negative in the equation you provided?

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

Doc Al

If you want the work done by the electric field, use W = -qΔV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?